Job Vacancy : Lead Research and Development Engineer
Location: Madison (WI), Oak Ridge (TN), Boston (MA) or Vancouver (BC)
Salary: Highly Competitive Plus Benefits
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Chief Technology Officer
About Type One Energy
The company was formed in 2019 by a team of globally-recognized fusion scientists with a strong track record of building state-of-art stellarator fusion machines, together with veteran business leaders experienced in successfully scaling companies and commercializing energy technologies.
Type One Energy applies proven advanced manufacturing methods, modern computational physics and high-field superconducting magnets to develop its optimized stellarator fusion energy system. Its FusionDirect development program pursues the lowest-risk, shortest-schedule path to a fusion power plant over the coming decade, using a partner-intensive and capital-efficient strategy. For more information, visit https://www.typeoneenergy.com/
About the role
Type One Energy are looking for a Lead Research and Development Engineer to manage the development of the 3D shaped structural components of a fusion stellarator. The role will be responsible for the development of divertor and coil-fixture mechanical structures, including their fully 3D-optimized surface shapes and cooling channel geometries.
In this role, you will use their expertise to develop strategic plans, refine requirements and provide technical management in achieving development objectives. The role will be managing the optimization of complicated 3D shapes to find the optimal design for the stellarator.
· Manage a team of Engineers to deliver precise engineering projects and structural optimization of stellarator components.
· The Lead R&D Engineer will join the structural optimization R&D team that creates state of the art software for topology optimization.
· Contribute to the development of new methods and algorithms as well as the maintenance and improvement of existing implementations.
· Lead the optimization and design of complicated 3D shapes such as divertors, vacuum vessels, and coils.
· Leads planning, architecture, or research at a project level.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· MS or BS in Engineering, Computer Science, Numerical Optimization or Structural Optimization with strong proven experience years’ experience working in highly technical industries.
· PhD with strong working experience is highly favourable.
· Significant commercial experience with software design and development methodologies
· Proven track record of crafting robust and efficient code.
· Excellent technical knowledge and commercial experience with programming, numerical analysis, numerical optimization and structural optimization.
· Experience managing projects and delivering high-quality products in a large-scale software development environment.
· Ability to translate business needs into development plans.
Equality of Opportunity
Type One Energy is An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.