Job Vacancy : Magnet Engineer
Location: Madison (WI), Oak Ridge (TN), Boston (MA) or Vancouver (BC)
Salary: Highly Competitive Plus Benefits
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Chief Technology Officer and VP of Magnet Program
About Type One Energy
At Type One Energy we believe that our employees are our greatest asset. We are committed to creating a positive and supportive work environment where everyone feels valued and respected. We value diversity, inclusion, and equity, and are committed to providing our employees with the resources and opportunities they need to succeed
The company was formed in 2019 by a team of globally-recognized fusion scientists with a strong track record of building state-of-art stellarator fusion machines, together with veteran business leaders experienced in successfully scaling companies and commercializing energy technologies.
Type One Energy applies proven advanced manufacturing methods, modern computational physics and high-field superconducting magnets to develop its optimized stellarator fusion energy system. Its FusionDirect development program pursues the lowest-risk, shortest-schedule path to a fusion power plant over the coming decade, using a partner-intensive and capital-efficient strategy. For more information, visit https://www.typeoneenergy.com/
About the role
We are seeking highly motivated Magnet Engineers to join our team in Boston, to help build HTS magnets from scratch. The ideal candidate will have experience in designing and building high temperature superconducting magnets, or experience in a similar field. The Magnet Engineer will be responsible for designing, testing, and building magnets for use in our stellarator technology.
We are looking for highly motivated Magnet Engineers with experience in in copper magnets, superconducting magnets, cryogenics, vacuum systems or transformer design.
· Working with other Magnet, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers to design, test and build HTS magnets from scratch.
· Develop specifications and requirements for the magnets based on the system design and performance goals.
· Create designs using engineering software packages to optimize the magnet performance.
· Collaborate with the magnet manufacturing team to build magnets from scratch, including winding and assembly.
· Participate in magnet testing and data analysis to ensure magnets meet performance specifications.
· Develop and maintain documentation related to the design, fabrication, testing, and performance of the magnets.
· Work closely with other members of the engineering team to integrate the magnets into the overall stellarator design.
· Stay current with the latest developments in magnet technology and their applications in the fusion sector.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Materials Engineering or similar field.
· Proven experience in designing and building magnets or HTS magnets.
· Experience with key engineering software packages including Solidworks /ANSYS
· Proficiency in magnet winding, assembly, and testing is desirable.
· Knowledge of cryogenic systems and superconductivity is desirable
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Equality of Opportunity
Type One Energy is An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.