Job Vacancy : Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: Madison (WI), Oak Ridge (TN), Boston (MA) or Vancouver (BC)
Salary: Highly Competitive Plus Benefits
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Chief Technology Officer
About Type One Energy
The company was formed in 2019 by a team of globally-recognized fusion scientists with a strong track record of building state-of-art stellarator fusion machines, together with veteran business leaders experienced in successfully scaling companies and commercializing energy technologies.
Type One Energy applies proven advanced manufacturing methods, modern computational physics and high-field superconducting magnets to develop its optimized stellarator fusion energy system. Its FusionDirect development program pursues the lowest-risk, shortest-schedule path to a fusion power plant over the coming decade, using a partner-intensive and capital-efficient strategy. For more information, visit https://www.typeoneenergy.com/
About the role
Type One Energy are looking for a highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineer to help develop the mechanical design of complicated 3D structural parts including RRP divertors, coils and first wall (vacuum vessel). The Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible for the structural and thermomechanical integrity, the manufacturability, and the timely industry procurement of the complex 3-D shaped metal components.
· Performing general component, system and design engineering activities including drawings, calculations, and reports.
· Perform design, assembly, testing and inspection of mechanical components and system functions.
· Implement design control and configuration control concepts.
· Implement concepts of design for manufacturing and system operations.
· Analyse complex computer codes and software
· Learn a variety of new procedures, processes and tools.
· Creatively solving mechanical engineering problems.
· Choosing the appropriate manufacturing/engineering techniques to ensure that the designs can be made quickly and economically.
· Communicating and liaising with other engineers, physicists and other colleagues
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Preference will be given to applicants with experience in advanced manufacturing and design.
· A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an ABET-accredited university is required.
· Proven and relevant experience in mechanical engineering and design required.
· Experience of working in a similar, fast paced engineering environment.
· Experience of designing and testing complex 3D structural shapes.
· Must have general knowledge of project engineering activities (task plans, schedules, etc.)
· Ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely written and verbal communication is required.
· Must be a strong team player with the ability to develop effective relationships with internal and external customers and suppliers.
· Must be able to work in a team environment.
Equality of Opportunity
Type One Energy is An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
To apply for this fantastic position and for more information please visit our website at www.typeoneenergy.com/careers.