OncoHealth is a leading digital health company dedicated to helping health plans, employers, providers, patients and life science researchers navigate the physical, mental and financial complexities of cancer through technology enabled services and real-world data analytics. Through an evidence-based, real-world analytics approach to utilization management, OncoHealth's prior authorization platform is used by health plans and their network physicians to support 7 million health plan members in the US and Puerto Rico.
About the Role
The Principal Data Engineer works in an agile environment while demonstrating a strong skillset with both SQL and NOSQL solutions as well as possessing strong technical acumen with Python and Spark working in a healthcare environment. This individual will leverage the cloud (Azure) for enterprise data warehousing, business intelligence, and data wrangling with ETL/ELT combined with deep knowledge of claims and EMR data and clinical coding systems (ICD-10, RxNorm, LOINC, CPT, etc.). This role will be involved in making technology choices to support the overall OA data management services.
- Design, develop, test, and implement Data Warehouse/Data Factory
- Design and build reusable data extraction, transformation, and loading processes by creating data pipelines
- Maintain and refactor existing code to maximize data usability and consistency across different business functions
- Implement and support platforms that can work with large datasets and unstructured data
- Leverage Databricks/Azure Data Lake/Delta Lake and/or blob storage to prepare large unstructured datasets for consumption by data science or clinical staff
- Leverage native Azure tools such as Synapse, Cosmos DB, and Azure Data Factory to build ETL/ELT jobs from Synapse in order to automate data flows
- Work with members of the Data Engineering, DevOps and other teams in order to understand gaps in data quality and data consistency
- Develop and design solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; and following the software development lifecycle
- Build data expertise and own data quality for allocated areas of ownership
- Own the relationship with internal teams to provide data and services
- Confer with clinical staff in order to understand how EMR and claims data could be better ingested, treated, and mapped for consumption
- Ingest NLP data and integrate with other sources of data to build a full picture patient journey
- Redesign current flows to increase throughput and streamline data for downstream consumers
- Propose improvements to current OLTP/OMOP solutions in order to continue improving our clinical data model
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant experience required.
- 7 years of experience using SQL and/or NOSQL databases in a healthcare enterprise environment. Experience in a cloud environment with Azure strongly preferred. The same years of experience in the following:
- Python and Spark development and big data platforms like Azure Data Lakes, Data Lakes Analytics, Azure Machine Learning, Snowflake, CosmosDB, Synapse, Databricks, Spark/PySpark, Kafka, Hadoop, and Cloudera.
- 3-5 years of experience working with healthcare concepts and coding systems like ICD-10, RxNorm, NDCs, HCPCS, LOINC, CPT, SnoMed, etc. Experience working with Microsoft tools such as Windows servers, SQL server, .NET framework and .NET core.
- Experience working with Analysis Services (SSAS), Reporting Services (SSRS), Integration Services (SSIS). 3-5 years of experience in custom ETL design, implementation/maintenance, data warehouse, schema design, and data modeling.
- Experience working with automation using cloud based tools and services. 3-5 years of experience working with structured and unstructured data related to Claims, Provider data, and EMR data.
- Must be skilled in analyzing information, software design, software documentation, and testing are required skills, as well as general programming skills and software development fundamentals, development process, and requirements.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and comfortable presenting ideas to peers and across the company.