OncoHealth is a leading digital health company dedicated to helping health plans, employers, providers, patients, and life science researchers navigate the physical, mental, and financial complexities of cancer through technology enabled services and real-world data analytics. Our partnerships with leading life science organizations continuously improve patient care today and advance cancer research through this use of real-world data from over 7 million health plan members in the US and Puerto Rico. The real-world data from our platform covers the full spectrum of therapeutics, across all cancer types and stages, including chemotherapy, radiation therapy, precision medicine, targeted therapy, and supportive care.
About the Role
The Senior Data Engineer works in an agile environment while demonstrating a strong skillset with both SQL and NOSQL solutions as well as possessing strong technical acumen with Python and Spark working in a healthcare environment. This individual will leverage the cloud (Azure) for enterprise data warehousing, business intelligence, and data wrangling with ETL/ELT combined with deep knowledge of claims and EMR data and clinical coding systems (ICD-10, RxNorm, LOINC, CPT, etc.). This role will be involved in making technology choices to support the overall OA data management services.
- Design, develop, test, and implement Data Warehouse/Data Factory and optimize the workflow of robust model-creation in a healthcare environment
- Support the implementation of business intelligence tools and data analysis and data cube creation to support data visualization (Power Bi, etc.)
- Provide quality assurance of data and results
- Design and build reusable data extraction, transformation, and loading processes by creating data pipelines
- Maintain and refactor existing code to maximize data usability and consistency across different business functions
- Implement and support platforms that can work with large datasets and unstructured data
- Leverage Azure Data Lake/Delta Lake and/or blob storage to prepare large unstructured datasets for consumption by data science or clinical staff
- Leverage native Azure tools such as Synapse, Cosmos DB, and Azure Data Factory to build ETL/ELT jobs from Synapse in order to automate data flows
- Work with members of the Data Engineering, DevOps and other teams in order to understand gaps in data quality and data consistency
- Develop and design solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; and following the software development lifecycle
- Build data expertise and own data quality for allocated areas of ownership in collaboration with feedback from internal stakeholders and clients on product design and features
- Support the organization to make data-driven decisions with data that is accurate and actionable
- Systematically use technologies, methods, and data to derive insights and to enable data-based decision-making for strategy, operations, measurement, and learning including the use of advanced analytics methodologies (Simulation, AI, machine learning, etc.)
- Own the relationship with internal teams to provide data and services
- Confer with clinical staff in order to understand how EMR and claims data could be better ingested, treated, and mapped for consumption
- Ingest NLP data and integrate with other sources of data to build a full picture patient journey
- Redesign current flows to increase throughput and streamline data for downstream consumers
- Propose improvements to current OLTP/OMOP solutions in order to continue improving our clinical data model
- Use statistical tools to: Conduct value-added analysis and problem-solving with a focus on hypothesis-driven analysis and interpretation, perform predictive analytics to discover new data relationships, and embed analysis into ongoing data pipeline operations
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant experience required.
- 4-6 years of experience using SQL and/or NOSQL databases in a healthcare enterprise environment. Experience in a cloud environment with Azure strongly preferred. The same years of experience in the following:
- Python and Spark development and big data platforms like Azure Data Lakes, Data Lakes Analytics, Azure Machine Learning, Snowflake, CosmosDB, Synapse, Databricks, Spark/PySpark, Kafka, Hadoop, and Cloudera.
- 3-5 years of experience working with healthcare concepts and coding systems like ICD-10, RxNorm, NDCs, HCPCS, LOINC, CPT, SnoMed, etc. Experience working with Microsoft tools such as Windows servers, SQL server, .NET framework and .NET core.
- Experience working with Analysis Services (SSAS), Reporting Services (SSRS), Integration Services (SSIS). 3-5 years of experience in custom ETL design, implementation/maintenance, data warehouse, schema design, and data modeling.
- Experience working with automation using cloud based tools and services. 3-5 years of experience working with structured and unstructured data related to Claims, Provider data, and EMR data.
- Must be skilled in analyzing information, software design, software documentation, and testing are required skills, as well as general programming skills and software development fundamentals, development process, and requirements.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and comfortable presenting ideas to peers and across the company.
About the Location
We are open to remote work preferably in the Eastern or Central times zone.
Taking ownership of quick action, critically thinking through the needs, and working well with others are key competencies of team member success. Our leadership is dedicated to building a culture based on respect, clinical excellence, innovation – all with a focused mission of putting patients first!
We offer a full benefit package starting on your first day, along with a company bonus and equity so you can experience the value of our growth along with the rest of the team. You will work from (or visit) our very modern and engaging offices, and experience a fun, collaborative environment where social activities and community events matter. We enjoy being together!
The cost of cancer related medical services and prescription drugs in the United States is expected to reach $246 billion by 2030. OncoHealth has enjoyed rapid growth over the past 3 years and seeks smart, collaborative people to join its team. We have just under 200 team members, so we can move swiftly but precisely to the market needs of our customers. Strongly backed financially by leading healthcare equity partners, we remain in an investment mode. This means we are open-minded to how we get the work done – now is the perfect time to talk to us!
Our Current Solutions
Through the use of OncoHealth's utilization management system, OneUM, our customers can use a single e-Prior Authorization portal for all oncology drug request and treatments. Our system improves quality of care, reduces provider abrasion and gives health plans visibility into the total cost of oncology treatment.
OncoHealth offers Oncology Insights Pro, an analytic software solution that enables health plans to use data and analytics to improve oncology programs. Using real world data, our engineers normalize data to create analytic dashboards with drill down compatibilities. The data is the paired with expert guidance providing the strategies an insight needed to keep up with the continuing evolving cancer treatment landscape.
OncoHealth offers Pharmacy Consulting services to health plans and pharmaceutical companies. New cancer treatments are entering the market at an unrelenting pace. Since 2018, the FDA approved 121 new cancer applications including 49 novel cancer drug entities. Our Board-Certified Oncology Pharmacologists can help health plans update drug policies, offer utilization management and formulary advice, and development training for staff.