You will work closely with UP Consumer Engagement and UP Faith & Family
executives to create and grow UP Entertainment’s digital product offerings.
• You must be a well-rounded and experienced data scientist – adept at usage analytics and custom data to create a complete and accurate picture of UP’s audiences.
• You must be a team player – you’ll collaborate with UP executives on a daily basis. You’ll need to develop a keen understanding of the business so that
you’ll not only report on performance, but add insights that help to grow program effectiveness and audience base.
• And above all, you must be a data geek – finding and growing the data sources and insights that will move Marketing, Digital, and Audience KPI’s to
deepen customer loyalty and expand our products and businesses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Director Data Science will assist in collection and analysis of user/usage data across all UP digital platforms with a view to:
1. Identify and Profile Users
- Understand their interests / likely interests
- Identify patterns that can inform user experience, content presentation and offers to engage
- Dynamically segment audiences to target promotional messaging
- Create models to identify and activate prospects for deeper engagement (i.e. email lists, receipt of notifications) and/or purchase of a la carte services such as SVOD)
- Create user personas
2. Provide granular and accurate targeting models for outreach to other platforms including social media, blogs, YouTube and paid media buys (all platforms)
3. Use available data streams to help Sales and Marketing optimize
conversion costs for:
- Linear viewership for key programming
- SVOD free /paid trials
- App downloads
- List / messaging signup
- Social media engagement / conversions / subscriptions
4. Identify usage and viewing patterns to:
- Inform content acquisition, production and/or editing decisions
- Optimize messaging and calls to action
- Optimize sequencing of content across platforms
- Identify groups most likely to be responsive to calls to action and identify efficient ways to target and address those groups
5. Digital Campaign Management
- Develop and deploy audience testing strategies
- Optimize campaign KPIs for best conversion results across messaging/CTA, content, creative, target, and posting time of day
- Relay audience test results to Consumer Marketing, Programming, etc. with recommended usage insights
Five-plus years’ experience in one or more of the following:
• Mobile app marketing / customer acquisition
• Analysis for SVOD or other online customer acquisition
• Digital and Social content analysis and optimization for a large and/or
rapidly growing web publisher
• Growth Hacking in the Digital or Social space
• Audience and Target Identification / Audience Testing Matrix for social
media pages or YouTube Channels
• Analytics related to gaming, especially mobile “freemium” gaming models
• Advertising / messaging / content optimization for a large platform with sophisticated targeting capabilities such as streaming music services, UGC services or social media platforms
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
• Solid understanding of data science fundamentals
• Deep, hands-on understanding of digital data mining and model creation
• Experience working with user targeting algorithms for major social media / UGC platforms
• Proficiency with DataHero, Mixpanel, Mouseflow
• Experience deploying and optimizing conversion-oriented campaigns using SEM, Ad Words, Programmatic and Paid Social (Facebook/Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest)
• A proven track record of driving results through optimization of marketing and messaging
• Works well in a creative environment – understands and adapts to client
needs while maintaining independence and analysis integrity
• Strategic Storyteller - able to review large quantities of data and distill to
concise, cogent and clear findings that help to achieve goals.
• Able to work under tight deadlines
• Able to prioritize and manage task list and deliver results on time
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from
groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Creative thinking is a must with ability to see and analyze trends. Ability to interpret a variety of
instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer & Software Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have proficiency with Google Analytics, Nielsen Social, ComScore, native Social platform analytic tools, variety of digital and social analytics software such as Omniture and
Netbase and marketing automation tools like Mailchimp. Additionally, MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
This job currently has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform other related duties as may be required by their
supervisor. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.