DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Location: New York City, New York
Application Deadline: March 30, 2019
(Early applications are highly encouraged, as we may hire sooner)
The OpEd Project is seeking an experienced, can-do operations leader with a track record of success to fill this new position, created as a result of the organization’s growth. The ideal candidate will have an aptitude for management and a demonstrated ability to create a stable operating environment at a time of rapid organizational expansion. This is an extraordinary opportunity for the right person, offering the opportunity to support The OpEd Project’s progress in making enormous historical impact and changing peoples’ lives.
About The OpEd Project
The OpEd Project is a social venture founded to change who writes history. We are a community of journalists, thought leaders and change agents who actively share knowledge, resources and connections across color, creed, class, sexuality, gender, age, ability and beyond. Through our nationally recognized curriculum, our team of journalist mentors, and through a portfolio of programs in partnership with leading institutions across the nation and the globe, we accelerate the ideas and impact of underrepresented voices, including women of all backgrounds. We have been covered by most major media. We have stunning results.
• The story we tell becomes the world we live in.
• The world becomes more intelligent when it is more inclusive.
• The best ideas, regardless of where they come from, should have a chance to be heard and to change the world.
Over the past few years, we have experienced significant growth. As we grow, we are seeking to build our core leadership team, in anticipation of a bold new chapter. We will continue to expand our core Write to Change the World workshops in cities across the nation (and the globe), and we are also seeking to organize and coordinate our flagship Public Voices Fellowship initiative into a powerful new force to change cultural narrative on a large scale, with permanent and undeniable impact.
The Director of Operations
The Director of Operations will create a sound operating environment to serve as the basis for program excellence and growth. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Operations will play a central role in helping us solve some of the biggest problems facing society and will oversee the following areas:
• Strategic planning
• Finance, in close collaboration with a consulting CFO
• Legal affairs and contracts
• Human resources
• Facilities management
• Information technology
The Director of Operations will work collaboratively with the CEO and fellow Senior Team members to develop policy and strategic plans for the organization. S/he will work closely with the senior team and program managers to create a sound operating environment and an ambitious strategic vision for our growth. This will include taking an active leadership role in developing an annual budget and priority plan that supports the strategic plan, as well as analyzing trends across the organization to support the Senior Team in their efforts. The Director of Operations will play a key role in operationalizing our growth as we enter a new, bold phase of the organization.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
• Deep alignment with The OpEd Project mission and vision
• 8-10 years of relevant work experience in an operations role at a mission-driven organization, with a minimum of three years in a team management role (building successful teams)
• Demonstrated success in core organizational management areas including financial management, facilities management and logistics, legal affairs and contracts, information technology, and human resources management
• Demonstrated success in creating solid central operating systems that support a dynamic and growing organization
• Experience in developing strategic plans as well as budgets and priority plans to support strategic goals
• Experience in providing trend analysis to support senior staff effort
• Demonstrated proficiency in using technology as a management tool
• Experience working with a variety of stakeholders across an organization, and successfully managing team members across a wide range of professional and organizational experience (“managing up and down”)
• A keen eye for spotting and implementing opportunities for improvement
• Experience in (or desire to work in) a lean, fast, inventive, entrepreneurial environment that follows the apprenticeship model in which you learn by doing, often with no training manual
• Superb communication skills (written, verbal, and more)
• A commitment to run operations from the bottom up, taking ownership of all aspects of the program and willing to do all kinds of tasks
• Warm, authentic, and deeply collaborative communication style
The OpEd Project is committed to creating an equitable workplace grounded in feminist and anti-racist principles. We encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming folks. This position is based in New York City.
The OpEd Project offers competitive salaries, at or above the mean and median level, benchmarked against similarly sized social ventures and nonprofit organizations. We provide generous benefits including three weeks’ vacation, flexible work structure, subsidized health insurance, professional development opportunities, a retirement savings plan, and more. Inclusion is an organizational value, and we are seeking a diverse pool of qualified applicants.
A strong Director of Operations will be crucial to the continuity and growth of The Op-Ed Project. Total initial compensation should exceed $100,000, reflecting a base salary and bonus compensation of up to 20% of base salary, depending on achievement of strategic deliverables. The OpEd Project is eager to recruit someone who is interested in contributing to the growth of the organization, and to growing professionally as a result.
Please refer all questions regarding this position to Michele Hickey, Executive VP, The Non-Profit Search Group at firstname.lastname@example.org, (201) 596-4022.