The IAB Senior Vice President (SVP), Research and Insights is responsible for leading, supervising, and supporting the production of all research initiatives at the IAB. The SVP, Research and Insights must be a seasoned leader, with experience running research focused on omni-digital initiatives, including media, measurement, data, social, and consumer insights. Must possess the ability conduct qualitative and quantitative research, provide insights and assessments, create research models (maturity curves, diagnostic assessments, Harvey balls, personas, etc.), analyze results, and produce high quality, member facing documentation. This candidate must also possess the vision and the capacity to stay ahead of consumer and marketplace trends.
Scope of Services (include, but not limited to):
- Develop and expand IAB’s reputation for critical, market-making research.
- Lead and inspire a small team of researchers.
- Ensure that research and insights inform the technical standards for the IAB Tech Lab, as the Tech Lab develops standards for the industry.
- Lead, mentor, and facilitate discussion with IAB’s Research Council, comprised of industry research leaders.
- Identify key challenges and opportunities for growth in interactive media/advertising across industries and consumer touchpoints.
- Work with industry leaders to define roadblocks and identify solutions to make sure that the consumer voice is recognized as the digital advertising marketplace continues to grow and evolve.
- Deploy high impact research, industry primers, best practice guidelines, thought leadership/education, and participate in events to further the industry’s goals.
- Partner with the Centers of Excellence/thought leadership, the events and marketing team, and content/production, to provide thought leadership, help drive industry consensus, and evolve/innovate the IAB efforts.
- Develop budget and manage profit and loss (P&L) for Research department.
- Ensure that Research department achieves budgeted revenue goals by working with the Investment and Relations team to sell training and certification products to member companies.
- Conduct working groups comprised of senior executives from different disciplines, and command their trust, respect, and cooperation. The SVP will work collaboratively with a number of IAB and industry groups, including:
o IAB Tech Lab
o Brand Council
o Agency Advisory Board
o Media Council/Publishing/CTV
o Viewability initiatives
o AR/VR and innovation boards/councils
- Enhance IAB’s profile and impact in the industry by continuing to provide thought leadership on metrics, measurement, and research.
- Ten or more years of experience in advertising, media, and marketing research, gained in a highly regarded media, technology, agency, or consulting firm.
- The ideal candidate will have a significant digital media background. Exposure to other media platforms, particularly television/video, is highly desirable.
- Deep knowledge of the media and advertising industries, including best practices, processes and emerging platforms and technologies.
- Recognized expert in conceiving and delivering highly regarded primary and secondary research.
- Fluency in consumer research, media measurement and metrics.
- Proven thought-leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to create, articulate, defend, and disseminate points-of-view.
- Demonstrated skill as a communicator. Prolific creator of quality content, including research, presentations, articles, and social media posts, etc. Excellent public speaker and writer. Well-versed in speaking to the press.
- Track record of success as a team player, willing to pitch in and support others internally and externally to get the job done.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, advanced degree highly desirable.
Critical Competencies for Success:
Advertising and Marketing Thought Leader: The ideal candidate works well in the rapidly changing advertising and marketing landscape and has led a research organization known for its effectiveness in partnering with marketers/agencies to deliver innovative and effective business solutions. The ideal candidate has intellectual horsepower, business acumen, and is technically savvy to set the IAB’s research agenda in support of members’ business goals. The ideal candidate is highly strategic and will be comfortable working with internal and external resources to continue to build IAB’s reputation as a center for industry thought leadership and excellence. He/she/they has the knowledge and insight and to be able to demonstrate what the findings of any study really mean to the consumer and the consumer experience in digital to a diverse group of constituents.
Collaborative Leader and Consensus Builder: The ideal candidate will be a diplomat who has displayed skill in building consensus in the context of a group of diverse stakeholders with differing interests. He/she/they demonstrates the ability to bring various viewpoints together behind a common vision and direction and will have an impressive reputation for building.
Effective Communicator and Influencer: The ideal candidate demonstrates the ability to synthesize complex industry and research issues and deliver a point of view in a crisp, compelling, and fact-based manner. He/she/they has strong listening skills, and an openness to other points of view. With exceptional executive presence, he/she/they will inspire others. He/she/they will be skilled in communicating with confidence in both large and small group settings.
All employees of IAB are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment. Religious and medical exemptions will be provided to the extent required.
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) empowers the media and marketing industries to thrive in the digital economy. Its membership comprises more than 650 leading media companies, brands, and the technology firms responsible for selling, delivering, and optimizing digital ad marketing campaigns. The trade group fields critical research on interactive advertising, while also educating brands, agencies, and the wider business community on the importance of digital marketing. In affiliation with the IAB Tech Lab, IAB develops technical standards and solutions. IAB is committed to professional development and elevating the knowledge, skills, expertise, and diversity of the workforce across the industry. Through the work of its public policy office in Washington, D.C., the trade association advocates for its members and promotes the value of the interactive advertising industry to legislators and policymakers. Founded in 1996, IAB is headquartered in New York City. More information at https://www.iab.com.