At Beyond Meat, we started with two simple questions: why do you need an animal to create meat and why can't you build meat directly from plants? It turns out you can...so we did! We makeplant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they lovewhile feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate and BEYOND!
This is a full-time Scientist position in the Innovation Team at Beyond Meat. The Scientist will use scientific principles and technical expertise, as well as a broad range of advanced technologies and industrial tools, for achieving company goals. The Scientist will conduct basic and applied research in flavor and flavor technologies in the context of developing innovative plant-based foods, as well as contribute to all aspects of product development as needed by the Innovation Team. The Scientist will have a keen understanding and extensive hands-on experience with flavor chemistry and analysisand possess the ability to think beyond standard methods, independently innovate and clearly deliver results in a matrixed organization. A successful applicant will be self-motivated, creative, resourceful, adaptable, team-oriented and results-oriented. Prior experience in flavor creation and development, flavor analysis, flavor isolation/extraction, quantitative/qualitative molecular analysis, sensory analysis, flavor delivery or emergent flavor technologies will be considered. Post-doctoral and/or industrial experience is preferred but not required.
- Support R&D team in attaining short-term and long-term development goals. Adapt to evolving scientific priorities and communicate findings with other members of the team.
- Leverage internal and external technological capabilities to develop food products to respond to consumer needs, company goals and provide asignificant competitive advantage.
- Utilize core research capabilities and know-how to develop new products and improve existing products. Develop product prototypes on the bench, provide sensory feedback on prototypes, oversee and/or support sensory studies, advise or take part in pilot-scale trials as needed, establish/maintain databases, interpret results and make atechnical case for product feasibility.
- Oversee or conduct research and development in the following areas: flavor creation and development, flavor analysis, isolation/extraction of natural flavors, sensory analysis, development of flavor delivery strategies and utilization of other techniques of the field. Oversee or conduct food product development with testing of new flavors or new flavor technologies.
- Actively support the innovation stage gate process: brain-storming and ideation sessions, concept development, concept screening, feasibility,and commercialization.
- Build cross-functional support when appropriate and develop project plans to drive development and implementation.
- Continuously search for and vet advanced technologies that complement areas of strategic focus. Continuously search for and vet market research on consumer flavor preferences and provide prospectuses on flavor profile targets. Advise supervisor or company officers in areas of technical expertise and research.
- Provide written and verbal reports of research activities. Participate in R&D and larger company meetings.
- Preserve all forms of intellectual and material property generated from the above activities,includingwriting patents, writing protocols for novel processes.
- Communicate and coordinate with vendors, collaborators,and CMOs for transfer of ingredients, materials,and information, while maintaining intellectual property and confidentiality as needed.
- Provide general laboratory support, purchase equipment,and supplies, and share in kitchen and laboratory maintenance.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Ph.D. degree in Chemistry or a related field with a strong background in flavor chemistry, flavor development,and creation.
- Minimum 5-year experience in academic or industrial research. Post-doctoral experience and/or industrial experience preferred.
- Prior experience in flavor creation and development, flavor chemistry,and molecular-level flavor analysis. Prior experience in savory flavor development is preferred, but not a requirement.
- Understanding of food product development, food chemistry, flavor-matrix interactions, analytical testing, and processes used in food and flavor manufacturing. Some familiarity with flavor regulations is preferred, but not a requirement.
- Proven ability to combine scientific insights with strong technical skills and business acumen.
- Experience working in a matrix and highly collaborative team orientated environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and multi-tasking skills, as well as the ability to interact and collaborate successfully with all levels and functional areas.
- Physical Demands: Frequent sitting at a desk, frequent laboratory work, communication-using computer,and phone.
- Work Environment: Laboratory, office and kitchen environments with some travel (10%).
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.