At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? It turns out you can. So we did. We make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they lovewhile feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The Food Product Development Engineer will have a primary role in the research and development group located in El Segundo, CA. The R&D team is a matrixed organization dedicated to creating food products using plant-based proteins with a deep understanding of protein chemistry and process-dependent behavior. The Food Product Development Engineer will be responsible for the safe and efficient development of food processes at pilot- or production-scale, development,and modification of food processing equipment, modification and manufacture of food products and samples, and leading pilot or production trials. Theideal candidate will be a problem-solver and have a keen interest in transferring bench-top processes to pilot- or production-scale processes for innovative food products that may require implementing new processes on scale. A team-oriented perspective is a must. Frequent travel may be necessary and/or travel on non-regular intervals.
- Support R&D team in attaining short-term and long-term product development goals.
- Provide written and verbal reports on work, including analysis of process and product operations.
- Modify formulations to fit larger scale operations.
- Lead development for the production of recipes at large scale.
- Understand process requirements and identify new equipment for various food processing steps both for bench-top and larger scale experiments.
- Conduct pilot-scale experiments and test new equipment at various vendors.
- Establish parameters for each processing step at bench-top and optimize them for larger scale runs.
- Optimize processes and equipment to ensure high-quality products are being produced.
- Collect and lead data analysis to ensure efficiency and look for opportunities to improve product yield
- Do production test runs and provide technical leadership and operational oversight for food processing operations.
- Train R&D team, manufacturing operations, process development with new equipment; prepare SOPs as needed.
- BS/MS in Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related fields with 2+ years of experience.
- Excellent knowledge of food processing equipment and scale-up.
- Knowledge of food safe production practices and regulations
- Strong oral and written communication skills and good organization skills.
- Be able to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse, dynamic team.
- Ability to think independently and manage multiple projects
Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.