Food Safety Manager
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? It turns out you can. So we did. We make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love, while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The Food Safety Manager will serve as the technical center of expertise for food safety management and will be accountable for developing and implementing food safety programs for all manufacturing operations, as well as for advising the R&D and product development teams. The role reports to the head of Quality.
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, with emphasis on food microbiology a must!
Essential experience and job requirements
- Minimum 5 years of experience in food manufacturing, food safety and/or auditing
- Strong knowledge of HACCP Food safety programs and requirements to mitigate Food Incident risks while maximizing customer satisfaction
- Development of retail quality control and food safety programs, policies and procedures
- Ability to provide quality control and food safety training as necessary
- Ability to communicate via verbal, written effectively and clearly to a variety of audiences
- Technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) to assure full quality control and food safety compliance requirements are met at all Company Owned retail sites
- Interpret federal, state and local regulatory guidelines to assure the ongoing compliance of the food safety program
- Develop food safety policies and procedures for internal and external food manufacturing sites.
- Develop a full-scale Food Recall training module for the annual drill.
- Manage all food quality/safety related incidents & conduct investigations as necessary for: product recalls, food related complaints, or any other enquiries involving food safety.
- Oversee food safety audit program for Beyond Meat suppliers and co-manufacturers.
- Ensure vendor food safety audits are current and meet all Beyond Meat’s quality requirements.
· Travel to Beyond Meat corporate, vendors, or co-manufacturer’s site, as needed
Desirable criteria & qualifications
· Experience in retail quality control
· Preferred certifications include: Safety Food Quality (SQF) Expert & Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) Expert certifications preferred
· Deep knowledge within the Food industry within the Food Safety environment.
· Demonstrated track record in development and communication of food safety programs.
· Demonstrated track record in management of Supplier QA programs.
· Demonstrated experience with managing State and Local regulatory contacts in relation to the Food Acts and FDA guidelines