At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? It turns out you can. So we did. We make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love, while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The Lab Kitchen Assistant will help the Kitchen Manager in the lab kitchen located in downtown El Segundo with the preparation of new product food samples for others to test. This individual must approach all tasks in a meticulous and careful manner with little margin of error.
PLEASE NOTE: this is not a typical restaurant type kitchen and you will not be preparing dishes to serve. This is a laboratory environment where you will be preparing recipes and food samples to test.
· Measure, weigh and mix specific recipe ingredients in very precise and careful manner
· Food preparation and cooking as needed
· Form product (burger patty), cook according to determined recipe
· Complete all required documentation and scheduled quality checks
· Maintain sanitation health and safety standards in work area. Clean and sanitize work areas i.e. counters, refrigerator and stove
· Maintain general maintenance and organization of kitchen
· Wash pots, pans, and dishes, cooking utensils and other cooking tools; put away in designated cupboards. Keep prep space clean and tidy
· Follow all sanitation and quality policies and procedures, and report any deficiencies.
· The employee will be required to use all personal protective equipment provided by the company in compliance with OSHA regulations.
· Employee must follow GMP's and SOPs. Employee must follow all personal and food safety regulations at all times.
Performs other duties as
The Research & Development kitchen team is looking for an outstanding individual to join Beyond Meat at the company’s HQ in El Segundo, CA. The ideal candidate has experience working in a fast paced environment, is meticulous in measuring ingredients and following recipes with little or no error, enjoys working as part of a team and has a positive attitude.
Qualifications & Competencies
· Experience: 3 years food handling experience; Pastry chef experience a plus
· Professional Certification: Safe Serve Certification
· Specialized Knowledge: Metric measurements (MG, G, KG, ML, L), knife skills preferred, basic food preparation, principles of sanitation and principles of safe food handling, general knowledge of kitchen operations
· Time management
· Stress management
· Follow through on general instructions
· Professional even under pressure
· Flexible in a fast paced environment
· Understands and follows written and verbal instructions
· Must have a sense of urgency and attention to detail
· Strong communicator
· Passionate, enthusiastic and supports company mission and values
· Standing 90% of the time while in the kitchen
· Frequent bending and lifting
· Lifting items not exceeding 20 lbs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Laboratory Kitchen