At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? It turns out you can. So we did. We make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love, while feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The Food Technologist has the primary role of supporting the research and development group located in El Segundo, CA. The R&D team is a matrixed organization dedicated to creating food products using plant-based proteins with a deep understanding of protein chemistry and process dependent behavior. The Food Technologist will be responsible for the safe and efficient development, modification and manufacture of food products, samples, processes and leading production trials.
· Support entire R&D team in attaining short-term and long-term development goals. Adapt to evolving scientific priorities.
· Provide written and verbal reports of research activities. Participate in R&D Meetings.
· Generate new product ideas and recipes, modify and improve existing recipes, develop prototypes
· Develop processes for the production of recipes in a large scale
· Ensure that strict hygiene and food safety standards are met
· Conduct production test runs
· Collection and analyzing of data
· Develop in-process and finished product specification
· Generating ingredient statements and nutritional information
Candidate Description The Sciences Division of Beyond Meat is looking for an outstanding individual to join science and engineering teams located in El Segundo, CA. This successful, self-motivated, creative, team-oriented, resourceful, adaptable, and results-oriented individual will have a keen understanding and extensive hands-on experience with the ability to think beyond standard methods, independently lead and reach conclusions, and clearly deliver results within a matrixes organization. You will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact in our core scientific understanding, initiate creative product development, and develop into leadership roles using the skills described here in. Candidate must have the ability of using error as a skill to learn and develop a product until success.
· Bachelor’s degree or 7+ years of industry experience with high school diploma.
· Strong working knowledge of ingredient functionality and flavor, formulation, nutrition and food labeling regulations.
· Strong communication
· Ability to independently manage multiple projects
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.