At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you need an animal to create meat? Why can’t you build meat directly from plants? It turns out you can. So we did. We make plant-based meats that allow families to eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they lovewhile feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to the plate—and Beyond.
The Research Associate has the primary role of supporting the research and development group located in El Segundo, CA. The R&D team is a matrixed organization dedicated to creating food products using plant-based proteins with a deep understanding of protein chemistry and process dependent behavior. The Research Associate will use scientific principles and a broad range of advanced technologies and industrial tools for achieving company goals.
The Sciences Division of Beyond Meat TM is looking for an outstanding individual to join science and engineering teams located in El Segundo, CA. This successful, self-motivated, creative, team-oriented, resourceful, adaptable, and results-oriented individual will have a keen understanding and extensive hands-on experience with the ability to think beyond standard methods, independently lead and reach conclusions, and clearly deliver results within a matrixed organization. You will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact in our core scientific understanding, initiate creative product development, and develop into leadership roles using the skills described herein. Candidate must have the ability to use error as a skill to learn and develop a product until success.
- Support entire R&D team in attaining short-term and long-term development goals. Adapt to evolving scientific priorities.
- Provide written and verbal reports of research activities. Participate in R&D Meetings.
- Conduct product formulations, melting temperature determinations, reagent preparations, gel electrophoresis, homogenization, sonication, centrifugation, dehydration, etc.
- Support mass spectrometer operations as required.
- Maintain and operate texture analyzer.
- Maintain and operate the microfluidizer for cell disruption, microemulsion and microencapsulation processes.
- Carry out routine equipment maintenance.
- Provide general laboratory support, purchase supplies, and share in kitchen duties and laboratory cleaning.
- Perform high throughput screening and carry out shelf-life experiments
- Support extrusion operations when required.
- Bachelor’s degree or 7+ years of industry experience with high school diploma.
- Mechanical ability, working knowledge of tools, familiarity with scientific equipment and instrumentation are key, including pumps, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, homogenizers, electrophoresis apparatus, pH meters, balances, thermocyclers, imagers, etc
- Basic knowledge of biochemistry, molecular biology, and microbiology. Knowledge of acid-base chemistry and redox reactions.
- Experience with microfluidizers, homogenizer systems, and bioreactors preferred
- Basic computer navigation skills required. Advanced skills preferred
- The ability to work in a team environment and also be self-directed.
- This position may require the ability to work rotating shifts or beyond business hours.
Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, periodically wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.