We are looking for a highly motivated and detail-oriented person for the role of Research Associate for a biotech company that focuses on tissue culture; your role would likely involve a combination of laboratory work, data analysis, and collaboration with other researchers. Candidates are expected to perform experiments to tackle key questions in the cellular signaling of GPCRs and assay development. The position is required to be in person on-site.
This role is an excellent opportunity to learn a number of valuable techniques in cell and molecular biology as well as assay development. The candidate should have experience with molecular and cell biology techniques, a high level of initiative and motivation, the ability to work independently and with a team, and excellent communication, organization, and time management skills.
This will be a full-time on-site position at our corporate headquarters in South San Francisco. The position will report to Head of Translational Medicine.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to)
Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Tissue Culture Techniques: You'll be responsible for culturing and maintaining various CNS cell lines or primary cells. This involves skills in aseptic techniques, media preparation, and proper handling of cells.
- Experimental Design: Collaborate with senior researchers to design experiments related to CNS tissue culture. This could involve testing new compounds, studying cell behavior, or developing disease models.
- Data Collection: Conduct experiments, record data meticulously, and maintain detailed lab notebooks. This data might include cell viability, proliferation rates, or responses to different treatments.
- Quality Control: Ensure the quality and consistency of cell cultures. This includes regular monitoring for contamination, validating cell authenticity, and optimizing culture conditions.
- Equipment Operation: Operate and maintain laboratory equipment related to tissue culture, such as incubators, microscopes, and cell counters.
- Data Interpretation: Analyze experimental data using statistical methods and software tools. Interpret results and draw meaningful conclusions to guide further research.
- Report Writing: Prepare reports and summaries of experimental findings. Clearly present data, methodology, and results for internal use or publication in scientific journals.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Team Collaboration: Work closely with other team members, sharing insights and collaborating on projects. Effective teamwork is essential for successful research outcomes.
- Communication: Regularly communicate findings, challenges, and progress to the research team. Present research updates in team meetings.
- Literature Review: Stay updated with the latest research in the field of CNS biology and tissue culture. This knowledge will help in designing experiments and understanding the broader context of your research.
Regulatory Compliance and Documentation:
- Compliance: Ensure that all experiments are conducted following ethical guidelines, safety protocols, and regulatory standards.
- Documentation: Maintain accurate records of experimental protocols, results, and any deviations from the planned procedures. This documentation is crucial for reproducibility and compliance.
- Intellectual Property: Contribute to the protection of intellectual property by documenting novel methods or findings that could be patented.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in molecular biology, cell biology, or related field, with 1-2 years of relevant research experience in a molecular and cellular biology laboratory.
- General understanding of scientific principles.
- Proficiency with sterile mammalian cell culture techniques
- Proficiency with standard molecular biology techniques (i.e. cloning, PCR, RT-PCR), cell biology techniques (i.e., transfections, immunostaining and FACS)
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to complete detailed work accurately.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit.
The employee is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The transition from standing and sitting often.
Specific vision for this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position requires the ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds occasionally. Evening and weekend work as necessary.
What we offer:
- Industry competitive compensation
- Performance-base bonuses
- Stock options
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401K plan
- A collaborative and innovative work environment at the forefront of biotech advancements.
Give your best, live wholesomely:
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage, including medical, dental, and vision plans for employees and dependents
- FSA and HSA
- Basic Life Insurance 2x Earnings & AD&D
- Employee Assistance Program
- Healthcare advocates group to help navigate the healthcare system
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work schedule
- Remote work option
- Paid Holidays
- Mental Health Days & Observance of World Mental Health Day
- Winter shut-down
- Casual work environment
We uphold the ethos of work-life harmony, where enjoyment is woven into our fundamental values of integrity, teamwork, compassion, and excellence.
The anticipated salary range for candidates who will work remotely is $80,000 to $ 105,000 per year. The final pay offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and years of experience within the job, the type of years and experience within the industry, education, etc.
Provided they meet all eligibility requirements under the applicable plan documents, employees (and their eligible dependents) will be eligible to enroll in group healthcare plans that offer medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance. Employees also will be able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan provided they meet plan requirements. Employees will also enjoy paid holidays throughout the calendar year, subject to relevant terms outlined in the employee handbook. Eligibility requirements for these benefits will be controlled by applicable plan documents.
This is intended to provide a general description of benefits and other compensation and is not a substitute for applicable plan documents or company policies.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Vistagen (Nasdaq: VTGN) is a late clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company aiming to transform the treatment landscape for individuals living with anxiety, depression, and other CNS disorders. Vistagen is advancing therapeutics with the potential to be faster-acting, and with fewer side effects and safety concerns, than those currently available for the treatment of anxiety, depression, and multiple CNS disorders. Vistagen’s pipeline includes six clinical-stage product candidates, including fasedienol (PH94B), itruvone (PH10), PH80, PH15, and PH284, each an investigational agent belonging to a new class of drugs known as pherines, as well as AV-101, which is an oral prodrug of an antagonist of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDAR). Pherines are neuroactive nasal sprays designed with an innovative proposed mechanism of action that activates chemosensory neurons in the nasal cavity and can beneficially impact key neural circuits in the brain without systemic absorption or direct activity on neurons in the brain. Vistagen is passionate about transforming mental health care and redefining what is possible in the treatment of anxiety, depression, and several other CNS disorders.
At Vistagen, we emphasize that mental health is foundational to living vibrant and healthy lives. We believe that healthy minds create healthy communities, and our core goal at Vistagen is to radically improve mental health and well-being worldwide – One Mind at a Time. We are change-makers committed to improving lives by developing innovative, science-based mental health care medicines with the potential to make the impossible, possible - to empower and support patients and their caregivers to achieve faster-acting efficacy without the side effects and safety concerns associated with current treatment options for anxiety and depression.
Vistagen Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to equal employment opportunity, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY