Who we are looking for:
Vistagen Therapeutics is developing an innovative pipeline of Central Nervous System with a potential once-in-a career opportunity to change the course of mental healthcare – to be a leader in the development and commercialization of a new generation of medicines with the potential to set a new and better standard of care for the treatment of anxiety and depression. We are seeking a Controller to work with us as we grow.
At Vistagen, we emphasize that mental health is foundational to living vibrant and healthy lives. We believe that healthy minds create healthy communities, and our core goal at Vistagen is to radically improve mental health and well-being worldwide – One Mind at a TimeÔ. We are change-makers committed to improving lives by developing innovative, science-based mental health care medicines with the potential to make the impossible, possible - to empower and support patients and their caregivers to achieve faster-acting efficacy without the side effects and safety concerns associated with current treatment options for anxiety and depression. Key elements of our strategy include:
● Focusing on highly prevalent anxiety, depression and neurological disorders affecting both adult and pediatric populations where the current standard of care is undesirable or inadequate to meet patient needs.
● Emphasizing development of proprietary CNS product candidates with potential for (i) rapid-onset therapeutic effects, (ii) exceptional safety and tolerability, and (iii) significant commercial potential in multiple CNS indications in global markets with currently limited, undesirable or inadequate treatment options;
● Expanding internal research and development efforts to:
- Evaluate the additional therapeutic and commercial potential for our existing CNS product candidates in the treatment of additional CNS indications.
- identify additional proprietary CNS product candidates for our CNS product pipeline.
We're seeking an ambitious and experienced Finance professional to join our team. The ideal candidate has a strong background in either the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry, with experience supporting companies in drug development. We're looking for someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, has excellent communication skills, and wants to take on broad responsibilities to directly contribute to our success. We seek a team member who wants to be fully integrated into every aspect of the company, from research to business execution.
In this position, you will report to the Chief Financial Officer and oversee accounting operations as well as provide business insight and financial analysis related to key business and corporate development activities. You will work closely with clinical, research, manufacturing and senior management teams to provide financial operations necessary to advance clinical and IND-stage programs. You will be directly responsible for leading the monthly close and reporting-related processes and other key accounting and finance obligations.
Vistagen is a dynamic environment with a strong culture of innovation, initiative and ownership. You must be excellent at multi-tasking and have the courage to provide honest feedback and assume a broad array of responsibilities.
- Responsible for the Company’s monthly, quarterly, and year-end close process and management reporting of results
- Ensure financial statements are prepared in accordance with US GAAP in a timely manner, and prepare accounting technical memos as necessary
- Responsible for maintenance of complex accounting transactions and significant estimates
- Manage outsourced accounting, audit, and tax service providers and processes.
- Assist with regular forecasting, budgeting, and planning processes
- Support the CFO in preparation of Board of Directors materials, including Audit Committee
- Coordinate external audit, tax, and financial reporting activities
- Manage processing of annual 1099s, accounts payable processing and approvals
- Manage Company’s equity compensation programs, including administration and expense reporting
- Work with legal on timely preparation and filing of SEC reports, including 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, and Proxy
- Develop and maintain robust internal control policies and procedures to safeguard company assets and ensure financial accuracy and SOX readiness
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and automation to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of financial operations
- Work with CFO on long-term accounting and finance strategy
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze financial data, assess trends, and provide insights to assist strategic decision-making
- Provide financial insight and analysis on select corporate development activities, including strategic partnerships, capital raising, corporate structuring, major contract negotiations
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings for a publicly traded company
Desired Qualifications and Experience
The Corporate Controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field. 10+ years of progressive experience in a life sciences company and/or in Public Accounting supporting life science companies and hold their Certified Public Accountant designation. Preference will be given to candidates with public company experience.
Key Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience as a Controller or senior finance professional in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and financial reporting for life science companies, including SEC filings
- Strong management skills and ability to lead teams with diverse backgrounds
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and strategic thinking abilities
- Effective communication skills with the ability to collaborate across functions and present financial information clearly to non-finance stakeholders
- Experience with financial systems and tools and process improvement
- High level of integrity, attention to detail, and commitment to accuracy and compliance
What we offer:
- Industry competitive compensation
- Performance-base bonuses
- Stock options
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401K plan
- A collaborative and innovative work environment at the forefront of biotech advancements.
Give your best, live wholesomely:
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage, including medical, dental, and vision plans for employees and dependents
- FSA and HSA
- Basic Life Insurance 2x Earnings & AD&D
- Employee Assistance Program
- Healthcare advocates group to help navigate the healthcare system
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work schedule
- Remote work option
- Paid Holidays
- Mental Health Days & Observance of World Mental Health Day
- Winter shut-down
- Casual work environment
We uphold the ethos of work-life harmony, where enjoyment is woven into our fundamental values of integrity, teamwork, compassion, and excellence.
The anticipated salary range for candidates who will work remotely is $225,000 to $275,000 per year. The final pay offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and years of experience within the job, the type of years and experience within the industry, education, etc.
Provided they meet all eligibility requirements under the applicable plan documents, employees (and their eligible dependents) will be eligible to enroll in group healthcare plans that offer medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance. Employees also will be able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan provided they meet plan requirements. Employees will also enjoy paid holidays throughout the calendar year, subject to relevant terms outlined in the employee handbook. Eligibility requirements for these benefits will be controlled by applicable plan documents.
This is intended to provide a general description of benefits and other compensation and is not a substitute for applicable plan documents or company policies.
Vistagen (Nasdaq: VTGN) is a late clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company aiming to transform the treatment landscape for individuals living with anxiety, depression, and other CNS disorders. Vistagen is advancing therapeutics with the potential to be faster-acting, and with fewer side effects and safety concerns, than those currently available for the treatment of anxiety, depression, and multiple CNS disorders. Vistagen’s pipeline includes six clinical-stage product candidates, including fasedienol (PH94B), itruvone (PH10), PH80, PH15, and PH284, each an investigational agent belonging to a new class of drugs known as pherines, as well as AV-101, which is an oral prodrug of an antagonist of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDAR). Pherines are neuroactive nasal sprays designed with an innovative proposed mechanism of action that activates chemosensory neurons in the nasal cavity and can beneficially impact key neural circuits in the brain without systemic absorption or direct activity on neurons in the brain. Vistagen is passionate about transforming mental health care and redefining what is possible in the treatment of anxiety, depression, and several other CNS disorders.
At Vistagen, we emphasize that mental health is foundational to living vibrant and healthy lives. We believe that healthy minds create healthy communities, and our core goal at Vistagen is to radically improve mental health and well-being worldwide – One Mind at a Time. We are change-makers committed to improving lives by developing innovative, science-based mental health care medicines with the potential to make the impossible, possible - to empower and support patients and their caregivers to achieve faster-acting efficacy without the side effects and safety concerns associated with current treatment options for anxiety and depression.
Vistagen Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to equal employment opportunity, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY