With a simple stroke of the keyboard, you just released an over-the-air upgrade to the entire customer base of devices in the field. Around the country, your binary is being pushed across a variety of wireless networks to devices near and far. A few minutes later, your dashboards come alive with customers downloading and installing the upgrade. Not only are they upgrading, but they are paying for it too. Instantly the company financial dashboards start going up...to the right.
Months ago, the company released a device to the market with a locked-away secret hidden deep within. A tiny chip was included, allowing the device to connect to a brand new previously unannounced network technology. Unbeknownst to the customer, this capability was already baked into the product they had purchased.
Now, with the network live, you and your team finalized all of the embedded code to activate it and you pushed it out. With this upgrade, customers are unlocking this secret, a brand new capability that made their device just like new again. Similar to FSD from Tesla, Jiobit delivers hardware capabilities built into all devices, waiting on software and subscriptions to unlock their magic.
This is the type of environment that you’ll find yourself in at Jiobit.
You aren’t interested in maintaining things, but scaling and building. Seeing your team’s work being used by hundreds of thousands of people on a daily basis makes you tick. Your team pushes out an upgrade and bam, people are instantly using it. Sometimes it sucks. Many times it’s awesome. All the time it’s motivating and thrilling. You thrive in this environment of instant feedback and a direct path from your work, to the user, and to the company’s success. Ultimately you derive energy from the opportunity to make such a big mark.
You are a doer; a scrappy, crafty, trouble-shooter. You are a data-hungry, pattern-finding, action-taking learner. You thrive in a fast-paced environment, and want to both enable (and mentor) those around them to create successes and grow but are also excited to make an impact with your own hands.
We are looking for someone to join us as a Senior Firmware Engineer. You will report to the Chief Technology Officer. At the end of the day, this person will play a key role in helping scale Jiobit’s business through technology and engineering - helping to build award-winning, and customer-loving, products.
If you’ve gotten this far, you are nodding your head and also probably:
- View engineering as equal parts art and science. There is such a thing as beautiful code. And the creative juices you get to flex through technical challenges you find therapeutic.
- Are okay with sucking at things - you gotta learn it somehow and in the beginning, you might suck.
- Have some war stories about really screwing up a rollout or feature. It created some scars and calluses you won’t soon forget.
- Know that data can tell a good portion of the story and provide the foundation, but engaging with humans and qualitative insights paints the full picture.
- Ask the right questions and, when posed with a problem, you peel away the layers to reveal the core issue and don’t address just the symptoms. You lean on your instincts and good judgment.
- The details aren't "beneath you." You roll up your sleeves and dive into the details. You employ an operational, get-er-done mindset. You could ask someone to run a query, but many times you’ll just go do it yourself.
- Systems thinking - understands (or aptitude do understand) the entire software stack as well the impact of data
- Mentor - coaches others and leads by example
We are looking for an experienced engineering professional who will work alongside our embedded systems engineering team, helping to define, implement and test the future embedded systems architecture for our next generation of devices. Success in this role means you are able to understand (and help influence) the product direction while striking a balance between short-term and long-term needs in designing embedded systems.
You are a product-focused engineer at heart who is always in search of creative and sustainable solutions. Jiobit is in growth mode and this role paths toward additional project ownership and/or leadership opportunities for the right candidate.
Jiobit provides families a comprehensive location-aware safety solution that is accurate, secure, reliable, and real-time. Our solution combines a discreet wearable called the Jiobit Smart Tag, with mobile-based software services, combined with patented location technology.
Our location monitoring and smart notification services are perfect for younger children, pets, seniors, and any loved one prone to wander. Featuring a host of encryption and security technologies, Jiobit is trusted by thousands of caregivers and families with usage in every populated continent in the world.
We believe that caregivers should have a single source of helpful information to guide growth, reduce stress, and move forward with ease. Everything we do—and everyone who works at Jiobit—is centered around this mission: provide the right information at the right time to the right people.
Jiobit has won Editor's Choice Awards with Wired Magazine, PCMag, Baby List, and Tom's Guide, to name a few. Jiobit has offices in Chicago and Silicon Valley. With a recent strategic acquisition by San Francisco-based Life360, we are positioning the business for rapid growth.
Why you want to work with us:
We like people who take risks, big and small. At Jiobit, we’re motivated every day because we do meaningful work that solves real problems for our customers. We support one another in our current roles and career aspirations, encouraging each other to learn new skills and dive deeper into our expertise.
We believe people work best when they are given the freedom and resources they need to work the way they were meant to. We hold ourselves to high standards, but we also don’t take ourselves too seriously.
We have seen the first-hand results of what it looks like to work together toward a common goal. We’re only interested in building a team that can work together, play together, and builds things together.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Solving development challenges and taking on development tasks with minimal guidance - and learning new technologies to push the envelope for what’s possible
- Optimizing power consumption
- Working with wireless connectivity solutions (Wi-Fi / Bluetooth / Cellular)
- Suggesting alternative designs and providing a point of view to better the product
- Articulating costs, benefits and risks associated with software implementation options and part selection
- Partner with members of hardware, supply chain and electrical engineering teams
- Diagnosing and solving critical customer issues
- Analyzing and understanding data trends and addressing anomalies and issues found
- Implementing features leveraging TCP/IP stack and associated protocols
- Developing solutions using UART, I2C, SDIO and SPI interfaces
What you’ll need:
- 10 or more years experience developing firmware for consumer-facing electronics products is preferred
- Firmware background with some RTOS experience
- Driver exposure would be preferable
- Firmware testing experience
- Experience writing firmware for low power hardware
- Proficiency with scripting languages (Python, Unix Shell, etc.)
- Bluetooth, ANT+, Wi-Fi, Cellular and other RF communication experience
- High degree of proficiency with C software development and related toolchains
- Competency with using version control tools (GitHub, etc.) for software development
- Experience with communication protocols including USB, UART, SPI, I2C, CAN, SDIO
- An ambitious, independent, creative, persistent, and self-driven mindset
Here at Jiobit we understand that professional experience can be developed in many ways. If you have relevant skills that don’t show up on your resume, we welcome your candidacy and ask you to share more in an optional cover letter. If your resume doesn't perfectly match these requirements, we'd still strongly encourage you to apply. Candidates are required to be domiciled and located within the continental US. Relocation to Chicago, IL not required. Remote work candidates are encouraged to apply.
What you’ll get:
- Unlimited PTO to juggle your professional and personal lives with MTO - Minimum Time Off of 3 weeks
- Flexible work hours and location (option to work from our downtown Chicago office, hybrid in office/WFH)
- Medical, dental, vision insurance (including 50% contribution for dependents)
- Paid holidays
- Short-term / Long-term Disability offered
- Competitive Stock Equity Packages
- Cash compensation between $130,000 - $150,000 (location and experience-dependent) for new team members, with performance and milestone-driven adjustments