Starburst Sales Engineers are responsible for the successful customer adoption of our products. In this customer-facing and highly technical role you will work with our customers directly to ensure their overall success with Starburst’s product offering. You will work closely with field sales representatives to own the technical aspects of the sales cycle and qualification process from discovery calls through to closure. From demonstrating Presto capabilities, giving presentations and running proof-of-concepts to migrating from legacy platforms or moving to production Sales Engineers are Presto experts who will provide technical leadership and consultation.
● Sales Engineers own the technical aspects of the sales cycle and work closely with sales representatives to drive customer projects to closure.
● Shape prospect evaluation requirements, define success criteria and participate in the qualification process
● Define, scope and execute customer proof of concept studies
● Act as the consultant and Presto expert on architecture, deployment and design discussions.
● Act as the primary customer facing technical resource during technology evaluations
● Design and build demos, presentations, reference architectures, and custom integrations
● Perform overall system and SQL performance tuning and migrations from legacy systems
● Collaborate with Engineering and Support teams for critical customer operational issues and questions
● Act as the voice of the customer during internal product engineering discussions
● Develop field best practices, how-to documents, and contribute to our internal knowledge base
● A willingness to travel to customers as needed
● 5+ years of experience in customer-facing technical roles
● Experience in field sales/field consultant
● Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills
● Strong presentation skills and an ability to respond dynamically to questions in real time
● Readiness to travel to and working from multiple customer locations
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Expertise in ANSI SQL
● Ability to code in a secondary language (Python and/or Java a plus)
● Experience with big data environments: public/private cloud, Hadoop, distributed storage, data warehouses
● Desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment with cutting-edge technologies
Starburst Data, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.