About this Position
Promise Academy is searching for a motivated, dynamic person with experience working with families in an office setting with a diverse groups of students. Bi-lingual Spanish speaking strongly preferred.
This individual will serve as founding Office Manager/Community Engagement Coordinator and will manage the front office and use their creativity to develop ways to foster deep engagement with parents, students and community partners.
About Promise Academy
Promise Academy exists to create personalized, world-class educational experiences that prepare all students to reach their potential and to change the world. We must ensure that college acceptance, support, and persistence becomes a reality for all!
Currently too many students in downtown San Jose are not being prepared for college and beyond. In fact, only 45% of students that graduate are eligible for colleges and universities. For Latino and African American students the percentages are worse with only approx. 30% of students graduating eligible for college [based on 2015 CDE data].
Promise Academy is a small Tk-8th grade school set to open near downtown San Jose in the Fall of 2018 in partnership with The Tech Museum of Innovation. It will feature a small school environment with a family-like feel. At Promise Academy, students will benefit from small group instruction that blends rigorous direct instruction with high quality educational software found in some of the highest-performing schools from across the nation. Promise Academy will also feature open design areas that promote student choice and agency in solving standards-aligned challenges in each core area, including coding and technology. Students will use the academic and social skills they learn to address issues and develop solutions for tough challenges in their community and in their world.
The Office Manager/Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the management and growth of Promise Public Schools.This work includes administrative support, the implementation of policies, annual goals, strategic objectives, community outreach, and programing for the organization. The Office Manager/Community Engagement Coordinator will enforce as well as abide by all provisions of law, rules and regulations relating to the management of Promise and other educational, social and recreational activities under the direction of the Board.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Builds awareness and support by engaging with faculty, staff, parents, the charter community current as well as prospective funders and strategic partners.
· Ensures operational integrity including compliance with all applicable laws, regulatory reporting, contractual obligations, and successful charter renewals.
· Promotes a well-planned strategic vision to increase enrollment and standing in the community.
· Conducts the day-to-day office management of the school.
· Assists the HOS/CEO with overseeing completion of all mandated compliance(Reports, as required, Renewal, MOU, and facilities).
· Develops, leads and assists in managing administrative and business teams
· Assists the HOS/CEO with purchasing and using appropriate resources.
· Sees to the development of specific administrative procedures and programs to implement the intent established by Board policies, directives and formal actions.
· Performs related duties as assigned.
· Communicates effectively to all stakeholders
· Seeks opportunities for community involvement and liaises with other charter school leaders.
· Communicates and cooperates effectively with community agencies and organizations
· Articulates the school mission and vision to parents and the community
· Establishes good working relations with colleagues
· Solicits opinions of the community and families on issues of significance to school
· Maintains an appropriate level of visibility and involvement in the community
· Maintains an open-door policy for parents
· Encourages volunteering and implements programs for both parents and community
· Directs community relations activities/events including essential marketing
· Recruits, develops, manages and retains high-quality personnel
· Manages orientation of new employees; processes new hire paperwork
· Observes and assists Head of School and CEO in the development and facilitation of staff development, in-service and training of all staff
· Provides support and/or coverage for other employees as needed or directed.
· Maintains motivation to best ensure a positive team environment, fostering growth and professional development.
· Organizes and attends regularly scheduled school staff meetings.
Marketing & Fundraising Strategy
· Provides conceptual oversight for public relations, websites, marketing, etc.
· Seeks and guides opportunities to strengthen, build, and share the school’s educational programs, vision, and success with visitors and public.
· Leads innovative low-cost marketing and PR programs to engage and expand the existing enrollment and reach new audiences.
· Makes connections to promote the school’s educational mission.
· Advises the Board of perspective fundraising/development opportunities.
· Assists in finding appropriate grants to support its programs and mission.
· Supports parent fundraising efforts.
· Liaisons with web-designer and makes routine updates to the school website.
SKILLS QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
· Possess a dynamic personality and the commitment to the advancement of Promise mission, vision, and educational philosophy.
· Proficient skills in computer technology including software associated with spreadsheets, databases, word-processing, internet and networking basics.
· Proficiency in utilizing technology and financial software including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and Outlook.
· Knowledge of fiscal management, strategic planning.
· Strong verbal and written communicate skills.
· Detail oriented, organized, resourceful, problem-solver, and possess the ability to multitask.
· Excellent time management and organizational skills. Must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects concurrently.
· Results oriented and demonstrates a positive attitude showing adaptability, flexibility, ingenuity and resourcefulness.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
· Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
· Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
· Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
· Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments;Inspires the trust of others;Works with integrity and ethically.
· Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time;Upholds and supports organization's goals and values.
· Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner;Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- The noise level in the work environment usually is typical for a School Office environment (moderate).
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to work in small or confined spaces
· Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull objects up to 20 pounds
· Ability to perceive the nature of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, providing verbal information, the manual dexterity to operate business related equipment, including specialized electrical hand and power tools, handle and work with various materials and objects
· Ability to reach overhead, above shoulders and horizontally
· Ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time, bend at the waist, kneel and crouch
Evaluation will be conducted by the CEO.