Vice President of Research and Development
This position reports to the CEO and will be available in Q2 2021. The VP of Research and Development will have the credibility to represent Aperture Education’s commitment to science and excellence. This executive management position has responsibility for ensuring that Aperture’s intellectual property delivers promised impact, promotes educational equity, and fosters the social and emotional competence of K-12 students and adults.
The VP will lead the Department of Research and Development efforts for development of intellectual property in the social and emotional learning field including assessments and strategies for students in grades K-12 as well as adults. The VP will also direct and participate in translational research in support of Aperture’s intellectual property and programs to document their impact. Together with the other members of Aperture’s Executive Leadership Team, the VP helps determine the strategic priorities and direction of Aperture Education. This is a Full-Time remote position, although there will be periodic meetings in the Philadelphia, PA and Charlotte, NC areas. Travel for speaking, conference attendance, training, and client support events is also required.
- In collaboration with the Executive Leadership Team, determines the strategic direction and priorities of Aperture Education.
- Provides leadership to create and support a company culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Leads and supervises the Research and Development Department.
- Establishes and ensures that Research and Development strategic and operational goals are aligned with and in support of Aperture Education goals.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration and excellence within the Research and Development Department and between the department and other teams.
- Develops and manages the Department budget.
Development of Intellectual Property
- In collaboration with key stakeholders, identifies and analyzes opportunities for developing intellectual property that advances Aperture’s mission and the SEL field.
- Provides guidance and support to the Director of Research and Development and participates in the development of intellectual property, particularly assessments and strategies.
- Collaborates with Aperture’s Digital Product Team in developing online versions of Aperture IP.
- Collaborates with third parties in developing “white-labelled” variants of Aperture intellectual property to support the third parties’ programs.
- Ensures that Aperture creates resources and services that are culturally affirming and are as free from cultural bias as possible.
- Ensures that Aperture-created intellectual property promotes educational equity.
- Participates in presentations and customer support meetings for key accounts as indicated.
- Pursues funding to support the development of IP including grants.
Execution of Applied Research
- Provides guidance and support to the Director of Research and Development and participates in the development and execution of systematic research in support of Aperture’s intellectual property and programs.
- Collaborates with Aperture Education Clients (school districts and OST programs) in applied research, program evaluation, and impact studies.
- Publishes research results in the professional peer-reviewed literature and presents at major national conferences.
- Represents Aperture Education on national committees, work groups, and panels.
- Represents Aperture Education through public channels, including social media, conferences, and webinars.
- Represents Aperture Education through authoring articles for peer-reviewed journals, trade publications and newsletters.
- Keeps Aperture staff apprised of trends, opportunities, and threats in the social and emotional learning field.
- Keeps Aperture staff apprised of intersecting fields and frameworks.
Support of Cross-Functional Teams
- Collaborates with Aperture teams responsible for implementing and supporting clients to achieve Aperture’s impact goals.
- Provides high-level technical assistance and consultation to clients as requested by Aperture teams. Advises sales and marketing staffs of trends in the field, provides competitive intelligence, authors sales collateral as indicated, reviews sales and marketing materials as requested.
- In collaboration with other members of the R&D Department, trains Aperture staff on new and existing IP.
- Master’s degree (doctorate preferred) in psychology, education, or related field.
- Ten (10) years of experience in applied research in psychology, education, or human services with continued growth in responsibilities and impact; extensive knowledge of IRB requirements, quantitative and qualitative research designs, methodology and analysis
- Five (5) years of experience in management including directing high achieving, cross-department teams. Five (5) years of experience in social and emotional learning.
- Documented experience in the successful implementation of social and emotional learning programs or other education programs in school settings, ideally across rural, suburban, and urban settings. Documented expertise in developing assessments and strategies; in-depth knowledge of psychometrics and standards for psychological tests.
- History of publication in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at national conferences.
- Ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences including parents and teachers.
Value Added Qualifications:
- K-12 classroom teaching, student support services, or administrative experience.
- Experience in educational technology including development of digital products.
- Documented success in obtaining external funding.
- Federal IRB certification
We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer | Aperture Education does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Aperture Education, in compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 provides a drug-free workplace for all employees