Are you passionate about building products people love?
Do you want your work to matter - to you and the world?
Are you motivated by solving problems?
Do you work well with a fast paced, collaborative team?
If this sounds like you, we’ve got your perfect job.
My name is Charles Newman, Sr. Director of Engineering at TakeLessons. I’d like to tell you about a position we have on our team.
This role is entitled Software Engineer III. In this senior engineering role you will build really cool products customers can’t stop talking about. Better yet, you will be working with an amazing team of motivated, smart, yet humble teammates.
At its core, this role is so much more than building software applications. Instead, this is a role about creating the future, fueling our growth, and building things people love.
Here’s how it works:
Our company, TakeLessons, is used by millions of consumers and instructors each month to find and book education services and take online classes. We have two products: first, a matching marketplace where customers can find and book their perfect instructor - both in-person (locally) and online. Second, an online group class product called TakeLessons Live where customers can access live language and music classes from wherever they are, on any device, and get the help they need.
From the first time a person signs up to become a member or downloads our app, we want to give them an incredible learning experience. Our Software Engineer III is a critical member of the team who ensures we deliver a delightful and wow experience during their journey with TakeLessons.
It’s a fast-paced agile environment that gives you the opportunity to work on challenging problems alongside talented individuals that value teamwork, user empathy, flexibility, and quality software solutions.
Your day will consist of mission critical tasks, decisions, and direction that help shape our user experience. You may find yourself working on things like:
- Contributing to each phase in the product development process from ideation to software design, database modeling, implementation, testing, and maintenance.
- Working closely with our PM and UX design team to help define new features using data analytics, customer feedback, and interviews.
- You’ll lead some development projects and will provide assistance to others when needed.
- Find, debug, and address defects in existing software.
- Building and maintaining third party integrations.
Why should you work with us?
We’re TakeLessons and our mission is to inspire the world to connect and grow so that we empower people to live more meaningful lives. To do this, we’ve created a top education site for lifelong learning.
You'll get to own our web platform and mobile app experiences and find new ways to deliver value to customers. We're seeing usage continue to ramp, customer feedback scores improving and we're thinking about how to scale like crazy. There's so much opportunity to make a difference here!
The people we work with are open-minded and focused on ways we can improve. If we find a cool new tool or service that will really benefit the company, let's use it! If you come up with a new idea or a better way to do something, let's talk about it! We have a fun and smart group that loves to figure out creative and efficient ways to get things done.
What’s really super cool for me (I think you’ll like it, too) is that we get to help instructors make a better living doing what they love. We all know how hard it is for teachers to make money, but with TakeLessons, they can teach their passion and get paid doing it! Check out some of the unsolicited comments we’ve gotten from our teachers (scroll down to the part “What Teachers Have to Say”) You can see some press about us here.
Necessary Skills and Qualifications
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proficient with object-oriented design, data modeling and development on Linux.
- Experience with coding best practices, defensive programming and unit testing.
- A positive “can do” attitude, driven and passionate with a strong work ethic.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working within an agile framework or as part of an agile team.
- Mindful and generous with time/experience to help team members achieve their goals.
- Flexible and able to shift focus when priorities change.
- Experience with any of the following is a plus: AngularJS, React, Nginx, JQuery, Symfony, PostgreSQL, continuous integration.
- Experience with virtualization and containers such as Docker.
- Experience with Git.
- Experience using data analytics to help understand user behavior and inform product decisions.
Benefits and Culture
- Competitive Pay: We are looking for the right person and will pay up for her or him.
- Access to full benefits: We have full health care, optional vision and dental, and a 401K
- Stock Options: We look for people who think like owners, and we put our money where our mouth is. Each employee qualifies for stock options. Our goal is to make them worth a lot of money.
- Being a part of an exciting ed-tech startup: Yes, we’re a bit older than most fledgling startups. But don’t let that fool you. We very much think of ourselves as a startup: fast moving, fail a lot, try things, no offices, no corporate BS, etc. But, since we’ve been around, that means we’ve found product-market fit and we’ve lowered the risk of a normal startup. So you get the best of both worlds - a fiery startup feel with the security of knowing we’re on the right track.
- Freedom: We do have standard hours most of us work (8:00-ish to 6:00-ish), but we don’t micro-manage. At the end of the day, you will be judged by the work you produce and the health of your team, not by the number of Slack messages you send.
- Working with great people: When you strip away all the benefits, all the tech stacks, and all the roadmaps, it’s really about the people. What you’ll find is that TakeLessons is filled with hardworking, honest, friendly, people who are here to build something great with their teammates.
Our Core Values
- We have Respect for ourselves and for others
- We believe in Ownership Mentality where we take individual initiative, personal responsibility and are accountable
- We have a C.A.N.I. attitude of Constant And Never-ending Improvement
- We take pride in our work by Building Stuff We are Proud of
So, what do you think? Does this suit you? If so, here are the details
- Remote (USA only): You can be located anywhere in North or South America with excellent Internet and phone connectivity. However, we may give preference to someone living in San Diego, CA just because it’s easier to meet with the engineering team (also located in San Diego).
Type of Employment
- Full-time only, salary
Ready to apply?
Great! We can’t wait to meet you. Here’s the next steps:
All applicants must apply online at: https://takelessons.com/about/careers#join
- No phone calls or agencies please
- Sponsorship not available
- We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome diverse backgrounds
If you’re not right for the job, but you know the perfect person, send them this job description and let me know.
If we hire them, we’ll give you a $5,000 bonus.
That’s right! Either we hire you, or we’d love to pay you some hard cash for helping us out.