The Staff Accountant for SMFM and the Foundation for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, the organizations, is responsible for facilitating the monthly close process, preparing the data for entry into the accounting system and further analysis. The organizations process Accounts payable transactions using Bill.com, which integrates directly with QuickBooks Online. The incumbent ensures adherence to strong internal controls, and financial processes and procedures.
- Prepare journal entries for all routine general ledger activities for the organizations including fixes assets, depreciation, payroll, expense allocations, lease activities, and all accrual and reclass or correcting journal entries as requested by the Controller.
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations for all cash, investment, fixed asset, lease-related balances, prepaid, employee credit cards and accrual balances.
- Review employee timesheets for errors, ensure timesheets are submitted on time and include the appropriate approvals for the organizations.
- Determine the asset life of new fixed assets and ensure the depreciation is calculated properly.
- Apply cash receipts for the organizations to the accounting system, including reconciling cash receipts from external systems, ACH transactions, and wire transfers
- Deposit manual checks via remote scanner and review general ledger account coding prior to recording the activity in the general ledger.
- Prepare shared services invoice between the organizations.
- Review Accounts Receivable aging and collection status.
- Manage accounts payable workflow via Bill.com for the organizations.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual organization, division, and product budgets as requested by the Controller.
- Prepare audit, IRS Form 990 and 990T schedules and other analysis, as necessary, for assigned areas for the organizations.
- Prepare annual IRS Form 1099s and ensure all new vendors are set up with W-9s and other required information for the organizations.
- Prepare unclaimed property filing(s) for the organizations.
- Create, maintain, and update Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Support staff leads with grant reporting and grant budgeting requirements; Experience with government grants is not required, however, the candidate must possess the willingness to learn about grants reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and Other Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in accounting required.
3+ years of solid non-profit accounting experience, with membership associations preferred.
Solid experience with accounting systems, preferably QuickBooks Online and Bill.com.
Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), especially as it relates to routine transactions.
Detail-oriented with strong MS Excel skills with ability to create and use complex formulas and pivot tables.
Strong work ethic; high level of confidentiality, integrity, and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
Ability to work effectively and expediently in a team environment.
Excellent organizational skills.
Calm and professional demeanor in a fast-paced environment.
Ability to manage multiple demands and short deadlines with little supervision.
Availability for some travel to SMFM meetings and occasional flexibility with work hours.