The Director of Membership and Marketing is responsible for leading all strategic, operational, and administrative components of membership and marketing including communications, recruitment, onboarding, engagement, retention, data management and reporting, as well as providing general member assistance by email and phone when needed. This role works closely with internal departments to guide and implement marketing strategies to support membership, meetings and events, online learning, product sales, and other Society initiatives that support the strategic plan.
- Direct and oversee all membership activities for the Society, including but not limited to membership prospecting, retention, benefits, communications, data touchpoints, data optimization, analytics, and reporting, managing vendors in support of these activities (e.g., Association Analytics).
- Create and implement a membership engagement and development strategy and plan with a focus on new members, especially international and non-Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists; develop and manage budget and resources according to plan.
- Implement and report on membership satisfaction surveys to uncover gaps in offerings, identify trends and make recommendations for products and services for members.
- Develop customized membership solutions that engage and increase participation in Society activities, collaborating with the Director, to improve transparency of volunteer opportunities.
- Collaborate with internal staff and external service providers to oversee proper delivery of all member benefits including Journal subscription, access to online education and communities, product and event discounts, continuously auditing benefits to assess value.
- Maintain integrity of membership database and manage the process for frequent updates to ensure data is as accurate as possible. In conjunction with the Digital Platforms Manager, assess platform capabilities, needs and opportunities, and oversee new platform selection and implementation.
- Identify areas of member’s online user experience that can be improved and manage the work of the Digital Platforms Manager and Website Developer to make necessary upgrades and enhancements.
- Develop new member onboarding and communications plan.
- Manage all budgetary responsibilities related to membership, while identifying additional revenue opportunities.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate annual communication strategies and marketing plans across membership, meetings, events, online learning, products, career center, and other Society initiatives.
- Oversee creation and delivery of marketing collateral for items listed above.
- Manage new and existing product branding development and guidelines.
- Identify areas within the organization for cross promotion of items listed above.
- Create multi-channel marketing plans to include email, direct mail, print ads, social media, website, online ads, text messaging, online communities, member newsletter and more.
- Manage email communications calendar in conjunction with Membership and Marketing Coordinator, and Advocacy and Communications Coordinator.
- Act as staff liaison to Membership and Bylaws Committee and other work groups and task forces that support membership goals.
- Actively participate in strategic planning within the organization.
- Provide monthly, quarterly, annual reports and trends within membership to be shared with internal leadership and Board of Directors.
- Digital Platforms Manager
- Membership and Marketing Coordinator
Experience and Other Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or a related field.
- 7+ years of experience in a membership or marketing position.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to provide forward thinking, strategic approach to accomplish organizational goals.
- Extensive knowledge of Association Management Systems (AMS).
- Ability to manage multiple relationships with outside partners/vendors on projects.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software with expertise in Excel.
- Knowledge of social media platforms.
- Ability to work well on your own, troubleshoot and resolve issues independently.
- Well-organized and able to prioritize inquiries and requests.
- Strong collaborator; conducts and maintains collegial relationship with staff and members; has flexible, positive, “can-do” attitude.
- of intellectual curiosity, adaptability, and emotional intelligence.
- Critical thinker with a strong work ethic, of attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
Additional Job Requirements:
- Must live in Maryland, DC or Virginia and be able to go to the office in Washington, DC when needed (even if you choose to work remotely most of the time).
- Ability to travel to up to three to five meetings per year or as needed and occasional flexibility with work hours.