ASA State and Industry Relations Manager
A farmer-led organization, the American Soybean Association (ASA) has served as the national trade organization that advocates on behalf of U.S. soybean farmers on domestic policy issues and international trade issues for more than 100 years. ASA represents the collective voice of 500,000 soybean growers in 30 soybean-producing states. ASA is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, and its Government Affairs team is based in Washington, D.C. ASA has approximately 40 employees
The Mission of ASA is to advocate for U.S. soy farmers on policy and trade.
The ASA Vision is to be the leading soy policy advocate and most sought-after partner and advisor advancing the success and prosperity of U.S. soybean farmers.
ASA farmer leaders provide strategic direction to policy staff through five advocacy teams: farm policy, biofuels and infrastructure, conservation and precision ag, regulatory, and trade policy/international affairs. With grassroots input from our state affiliates, farmer leaders develop the policy resolutions that govern lobbying efforts.
To achieve its Mission, ASA relies on support and funding from grassroots state affiliate organizations, foundation grants (such as the Walton Family Foundation), other ag industry organizations and corporate entities. The ASA Industry Relations team has the important responsibility of working with these supporters to generate the resources needed for ASA to achieve its mission.
The Industry Relations team also oversees implementation of programming that is funded by our supporters. This occurs in many forms, including meetings and events, leadership development, educational programming, marketing opportunities, communications programming, economic analysis and more.
The ASA Industry Relations Team
The ASA Industry Relations team is growing! The current team consists of the Executive Director of State and Industry Relations, the Director of Industry Relations, Director of State Relations and two coordinators. We’re expanding the team and looking for the right individual to join us as State and Industry Relations Manager.
This role is right for you if…
You enjoy building and nurturing lasting relationships with people and organizations.
You have a passion for agriculture and care about farmers.
You have leadership through service mindset.
You’re a good communicator with excellent verbal and writing skills.
You find it exhilarating to speak in front of groups.
You can manage projects independently for high-quality execution and on-time completion.
You have at least some understanding of crop production agriculture.
You want to work with the most important companies and organizations in agriculture.
About the role:
The Industry and State Relations team is responsible for fundraising, leadership development and state affiliate relations.
We are seeking a State and Industry Relations Manager to help ASA grow our roster of corporate supporters, oversee implementation of events and programs, and maintain relationships with state affiliates.
Conveniently, ASA has a separate events-planning team who helps the industry relations team with much of the legwork for events planning (food, lodging, meeting room logistics, etc.). This allows the industry relations team to focus on the core strategic aspects of the event including, theme, content, attendee experience, and most importantly, achieving ASA and sponsor goals.
This role offers growth opportunity. Candidates with the right skills and competencies will eventually grow their own roster of corporate supporters, continue to take on more interesting project oversight and expand their engagement with the broad scope of ASA partners.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Nurture relationships with state affiliates, ag industry organization and corporate contributors by providing service and support customized for those entities.
- Maintain and develop strategic alliances with assigned corporate and state partners to strengthen relationships for mutual benefit and increase sponsorship revenues.
- Build relationships with potential new contributors thereby generating new funding.
- Work with the State Relations Director in the development and execution of specific state programming, grower education and training programs.
- Work with the Industry Relations Director on execution and implementation of marketing programs funded through the United Soybean Board (the national soybean checkoff) and other grants.
- Leverage your unique creativity to help the team develop new and creative programs that help grow ASA funding.
- Develop and deliver presentations and proposals for potential supporters.
- Oversee the execution of specific ASA industry relations events.
- Work cross functionally with other ASA teams such as the government affairs team, the communications team, our Chief Economist and the events planning team.
- Manage and track data, information, invoicing and other relevant information pertaining to our contributors.
- Analyze information, prepare reports, proofread, and edit documents.
- Stay informed about agriculture business and policy news.
· This role reports to the Executive Director of State and Industry Relations and will work closely with the Director of Industry Relations and Director of State Relations.
· Approximately 25% domestic travel (international travel is not anticipated).
· This role is located in St. Louis, Missouri.
· Employees are asked to work from the office at least three days a week (usually Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) and may choose to work from home two days a week.
- Full-time exempt position
- Annual salary negotiable
- Annual bonus opportunity
· Bachelor’s degree in business, journalism, marketing, political science, communications or a related field.
· Minimum of three years of related experience that demonstrates strong relationship building, communications and project management skills. Agricultural experience is a plus.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including Microsoft 365, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the Windows environment, email and Internet
· Ability to learn and utilize other computer applications.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal, and writing skills with knowledge of Business English, e-mail etiquette, grammar, and spelling.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
· Collaborative spirit with the ability to bring multiple stakeholders together to achieve common goals.
· Ability to effectively work under pressure, manage multiple tasks and solve problems efficiently.
· Able to work with accounting and financial spreadsheets.
· Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
ASA offers you:
· Competitive annual salary based on experience
· Paid holidays, sick time and vacation
· Medical benefits, dental, vision and life insurance
· 401K plan with employer match
· Supportive and engaging work environment
We are committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.