Position: Executive Vice President, Finance and Administration / Chief Financial Officer
Department: Finance + Administration
Reports to: President/ CEO
Salary Range: $190,000 - $210,000
Cities are built by people. The creators of industry, makers of place. Visionaries—for what’s next.
At the Downtown Denver Partnership, we are building with vision.
We believe the horizon of a great city is always growing, always improving. We believe our city is only as strong as the center. And we know that a thriving, strategic advancement only happens when every voice steps up to the mic. When access allows for unbridled opportunity.
To make the most of this opportunity, to make meaningful impact, we must plan with purpose. With a bias for action, we invest for tomorrow, execute for today. Creating an impactful culture and business community that will support each and every citizen, giving us all a seat at the table.
Building our center city, making our place.
About the Position
The Chief Financial Officer (CAO) is an executive level position responsible for Downtown Denver Partnership and its affiliated entities’ activities related to: accounting, finance, human resources administration, compliance, insurance, contract administration, facilities and information and technology systems. The CFO will report to the President/CEO, and work in close collaboration with the Managing Director and the Organizational Operations team. In addition, they will partner with the executive leadership team and the board of directors to develop and implement financial and administrative strategies across the organization. The ideal candidate must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment, value innovation, and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while managing a finance and administration team.
All Partnership Team Members share a responsibility for recognizing, creating, and implementing plans to promote diversity and inclusion within their and the organization’s respective programs and initiatives. Where applicable, this includes involving external stakeholders to coordinate and promote the Partnership’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. The Downtown Denver Partnership views Diversity and Inclusion as a moral and economic imperative for building a great city.
About the Job
• Manage finance strategy for the Downtown Denver Partnership and its affiliate entities.
• Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
• Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
• Oversee financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships.
• Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
• Coordinate the development, regular reporting and monitoring of budgets.
• Develop financial business plans and forecasts.
• Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the executive leadership team.
• Engage the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections.
• Serves as Leadership Team Lead for the Finance and Investment Committees.
• Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, auditors, public officials, etc.
• Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
• Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise the Downtown Denver Partnership’s accounting staff.
• Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
• Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal, state, and city funders, foundations, sponsors, and the various boards of directors for the Downtown Denver Partnership, the Denver Civic Ventures Inc., the Downtown Denver Inc., the Downtown Denver Events Inc., the Downtown Denver Business Improvement District, and all other affiliated or managed organizations; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
• Coordinate audits and proper filing of various required tax returns.
• Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
• Review, track and manage contracts with partners, sponsors, members and contractors.
• Develop and implement processes and procedures to streamline and centralize finance and administrative functions, working collaboratively with the leadership team.
Human Resources Administration
• Oversee the relationship and day-to-day management of the Partnership’s Professional Employer Organization (PEO), TriNet, including:
• Compensation and benefits, and work closely with the Organizational Operations Director, in coordination with CEO and Managing Director, to determine processes for hiring and personnel development.
• Review and verify Payroll and Benefits Administration, including time and attendance verification and payroll review.
• Oversee onboarding administration, including talent contracts/terms and items like I9 verification, W4s, W2s, benefit selection and allocation.
Facilities and Information Systems
• Oversee office management
• Manage I/T support contract and proactively identify areas of improvement with an eye on budget
• Oversee integrated salesforce system and lead process to streamline and integrate all technology platforms.
Compliance and Risk Management
• Review all program contracts and manage use of outside counsel as necessary; adopt and direct protocol with Management Leadership to ensure contract compliance
• Grant compliance and reporting (federal, state, local and philanthropic)
• Manage insurance policies for all Downtown Denver Partnership related and contracted entities, maintaining relationships and deals with insurance brokers to periodically assess and ensure coverage for operations, event and Directors/Officers.
To be successful in this position, you must be a strategic and creative communicator and team leader with a keen sense of Partnership programs and how best to support our goal of creating an economically vibrant center city. You must have the capacity to work with diverse stakeholder groups including team and board members. You should possess a deep commitment to instilling practices and a culture that reflects The Downtown Denver Partnership.
• 10-15 years of relevant, progressively responsible finance and accounting experience in the fields of non-profit and government.
• Significant experience in, or knowledge of, nonprofit accounting and administration, including sophisticated fund and grant/project accounting, human resource, information technology, compliance, and reporting.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality, work independently, and respond to changing priorities proficiently.
• Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
• Ability to initiate and manage relationships with internal and external partners.
• Strong analytical skills and well-developed business acumen; natural relationship management instincts; savvy for gaining buy-in from various stakeholders.
• Excellent project management, including proactive and independent development of work plans, timelines, and budgets.
• Requires comprehensive understanding of best practices of non-profit accounting, grants administration and billing, and applicable state and federal document retention laws.
• Orientation as a team player and leader with strong management skills.
• A metrics-driven, entrepreneurial mindset that informs strategy and work.
• Commitment to city building.
• The ability to succeed in a distinct and dynamic culture.
• Ability to easily network and establish rapport and connections with individuals and groups.
• Flexibility and a sense of humor.
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field. CPA credential or advanced degree is preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Dynamics GP, Salesforce, and Microsoft Office Suite is preferred.
• Flexibility to work varied hours for events and to meet deadlines.