Reporting directly to the Program Director, the Patient Navigator is responsible for performing a wide range of complex and unique functions to provide project coordination and facilitation for Horizons Community Solutions, South Georgia's Cancer Coalition. Incorporated in 2002, Horizons is a rapidly growing, nationally-recognized nonprofit organization. The Patient Navigator facilitates community-based chronic disease risk reduction, screening and early detection, patient navigation, and disease control activities. Horizons serves multiple counties in Georgia, with an emphasis on reaching and assisting medically-underserved residents. The position is located at Horizons’ office in Albany, GA, but the Patient Navigator role may involve frequent travel within Horizons’ service area.
Community Education – using the tools and methods provided by Horizons:
· Conduct one-on-one and small group education to encourage chronic disease risk management and/or screening and early detection and ensure compliance with physician recommendations.
· Instruct clients on how to prepare for screening exams and coach them throughout the process, as needed.
Navigation Services – assist clients and their primary care providers in overcoming patient- and systems-level barriers to managing chronic disease risks, to accessing screening and early detection services, and to chronic disease control.
· Process client referrals from physicians to enroll individuals into appropriate Horizons services.
· Work with staffs of clinics, health departments and specialty centers to schedule service appointments and coordinate care.
· Conduct client coaching and reminder phone calls; may include in-person interactions.
· Assist clients in completing insurance, intake, enrollment, surveys and financial forms as necessary.
· Assist Program Director in coordinating billing and reporting.
· Refer clients to other programs for additional services, as available and as needed.
· In cooperation with the Program Director, resolve programmatic issues and conflicts to ensure continuation of patient-centered care.
· Occasionally represent Horizons at community health fair exhibits and educate participants about the programs offered by Horizons.
· Occasionally participate in media interviews to promote Horizons’ programs and encourage chronic disease prevention, early detection, and control.
Program Documenting and Reporting – track and document activities to ensure client compliance.
· Document all activities in a timely and accurate manner using Horizons’ protocols, processes and forms.
· Compile statistics, write progress reports, and provide other documentation as required by the program's evaluation structure.
Other Projects and Responsibilities may be added at the Program Director’s discretion.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
Education: Bachelor’s degree in public health, health education, nursing, social work or related human services field (Preferred)
Preferred Minimum Experience:
· 4 years case management, client/patient tracking, data collection and reporting, ideally within a healthcare environment.
· 3 years program or project coordination, managing multiple priorities and details.
· 3 years managing organizational and program processes to ensure optimal outcomes.
· 2 years managing confidential patient information and adhering to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations and/or human subject protections in research regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including a positive demeanor and the ability to build effective working relationships with diverse individuals, including health care professionals, patients/families, and the general public
· Acute sensitivity toward diverse populations and individuals, and keen interpersonal insight; respect for and the ability to work with members of varied races and ethnicities, cultures, socioeconomic statuses, ages, genders/sexuality, and spiritual beliefs
· Proven knowledge of HIPAA confidentiality regulations and/or human subjects research protections and ability to consistently adhere to federal regulations pertaining to these issues.
· Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and complete multiple and competing tasks
· Ability to adapt and succeed in a fast-paced, continually changing environment, while managing multiple deadlines and demands
· Ability to learn organizational processes and interface with others in both clinical and community settings
· Familiarity with case management processes, electronic records systems, and databases
· Ability to learn and apply information regarding chronic disease processes and evidence-based strategies for the prevention and early detection of chronic diseases.
· Commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Work Environment/Other Information
· Works in a well-lighted, temperature controlled area, with moderate noise levels.
· May be required to change from one task to another of different nature without loss of efficiency or composure.
· Period of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur.
· May be required to work outside of normal business hours, including occasional evenings and weekends.
· Frequent travel required within Horizons’ service area; must have reliable personal vehicle, a safe driving record, and be eligible to rent vehicles for out-of-town travel (at Horizons’ expense).
· May occasionally be required to lift/carry 10 lbs., and with assistance, lift/carry 20 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please Note: Horizons Community Solutions reserves the right to change or modify job duties and assignments at any time. The above job description is not all encompassing. Position functions and qualifications may vary depending on business necessity.