About Breakthrough Silicon Valley
The Family and Community Engagement Manager works in collaboration with BTSV’s program team across all grade levels to develop, plan and implement family and community outreach and educational activities to promote BTSV and enhance our engagement with students and families in the communities that we serve. To accomplish the above, this new role has two main objectives. They are: 1) supporting BTSV’s annual student recruitment and selection by maintaining a presence in its two partner school districts in San Jose, engaging directly with prospective BTSV students and their families; and 2) leading the planning and implementation of BTSV’s organization-wide family events and student engagement activities.
The Family and Community Engagement Manager reports to the Director of Admissions and Middle School Programs.
Areas of Ownership
- Admissions Outreach: Plan and deliver informational sessions and workshops on the BTSV program, admissions process, and college access topics to current and prospective BTSV families. Maintain a presence in target schools and build relationships with school staff, parent groups, and other on-campus service providers to drive student recruitment and promote BTSV as a college access expert. Provide application support to families as needed.
- Family Leadership Group: Lead the formation and management of BTSV’s new family leadership group and leverage the group to engage and incorporate the input of BTSV families on program planning and student recruitment.
- Community Events: Collaborate with the program team and other staff to plan and execute organization-wide family workshops and community-building events. Manage relationships with partner organizations that also deliver programming to BTSV’s families.
- Family Communications and Social Media Outreach: Lead the development and implementation of family communication strategies and materials, including social media, to enhance BTSV’s communication to students and families, encourage their engagement with BTSV, and build connections and community.
- Data Management: Lead the collection and review of data to evaluate the effectiveness of recruitment strategies and family engagement and outreach activities.
What background and skills do you have?:
- Experience working directly with families or the community of San Jose in a school setting or with a community-based organization.
- Good people and relationship-building skills; you enjoy being in the community to make things happen.
- Fluency in spoken Spanish is a must; fluency in written Spanish is a plus.
- Comfort with public speaking and delivering presentations to students and families in English and in Spanish.
- Social media savvy and experience using social media for community outreach.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement projects with attention to detail.
- “Breakthrough Spirit”: You’re a collaborative team player who is committed to excellence and open-minded, demonstrates a growth mindset, thinks creatively to solve problems, and works with a sense of humor and humility.
- Commitment to Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s mission and goals as well as a passion for educational equity
Bonus points if:
- You have knowledge of and experience working with public school districts, preferably with middle and high schools.
- You have knowledge of the college preparation and admissions process, particularly as it relates to aspiring first-generation college students.
- You have proficiency with Salesforce or another similar CRM.
- You’ve collected data using SurveyMonkey, Google Forms, or another similar tool.
We know that many strong candidates will not have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary range for manager-level positions at BTSV is $65,000-$80,000. BTSV typically makes salary offers between the range minimum and midpoint, taking into consideration the candidate’s qualifications, our budget, and internal equity.
- Health benefits: Medical, dental, and vision coverage, with 100% of employee premiums and 75% of dependent premiums covered by BTSV.
- Retirement Benefits: 401(k) plan with immediate, fully vested 3% company match.
- Paid time off: 15 days of PTO, plus 11 holidays and two “shut-down” weeks.
- Professional development fund for professional growth and learning opportunities.
We're open to hiring a candidate with less experience as a Family and Community Engagement Coordinator, with the salary range starting at $55,000.
Location and Hours
BTSV maintains two offices in San Jose:
- Bridges Academy: 1702 McLaughlin Ave, San Jose, CA 95122
- Herbert Hoover Middle School: 1635 Park Ave, San Jose, CA 95126
Since you will be regularly meeting with families and school partners, this is an in-person position. You will have occasional flexibility to work from a home office when in-person work is not required. As BTSV is an “out of school time program,” occasional evening and weekend work, as well as travel to offsite programs and events in the San Jose area, are also required.
BTSV requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 (one dose of Johnson & Johnson, two doses of Moderna, or two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech). Proof of vaccination must be provided prior to your first day of employment. Employees may request accommodation if they have a qualifying medical condition or on the basis of sincerely held religious beliefs and practices.
BTSV is also continually monitoring the COVID-19 situation locally and will continue to comply with all state, county, city, and/or school district directives on PPE, social distancing, vaccination, and remote work as they evolve.
Apply online through this site and attach your resume and cover letter as PDFs. Please indicate where you heard about the position in your cover letter. We will review applications on a rolling basis.
BTSV engages with individuals of all backgrounds and we are committed to embracing diversity within our organization, including developing a team who represents the communities we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, BTSV is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.