Breakthrough Silicon Valley launches talented but underserved middle school students on the path to college, while at the same time inspiring high school and college students to become educators. While ambitious in our goals, BTSV works: a stunning 99% of BTSV graduates are accepted into four-year colleges and 89% of BTSV 2017-2018 Teaching Fellows are inspired to pursue a career in education as a result of their summer experience.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s tuition-free program provides year-round out of school time academic support, advising, and advocacy for a diverse group of talented students, most of whom come from under-resourced communities and are first in their family to go to college. Through our students-teaching-students model, Breakthrough also provides a consummate professional development experience in education by providing talented high school and college students the opportunity to design and teach classes under the direction of seasoned education professionals.
Located in San Jose, California, Breakthrough Silicon Valley is an affiliate of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a leading national service organization that acts as the national voice for 24 Breakthrough sites across the country.
As Sr. Coordinator of Development and Marketing (SCDM), you play a critical role in creating and disseminating electronic and printed material to ensure that BTSV’s mission is consistently articulated across multiple channels in a compelling way. In addition, you will build and maintain relationships with volunteers and corporate social responsibility teams, while supporting the overall fundraising function.
You engage in both high-level, strategic thinking, and in executing critical processes that drive the day-to-day development activities of the organization. You can switch between internal and external roles easily and frequently, as some days you are working diligently at your computer to track and analyze donor data, while another day you are pitching volunteer opportunities and “selling” BTSV’s mission to strangers at a corporate volunteer fair. You are a problem-solver who takes initiative, is highly organized, attentive to detail, and process-oriented. You understand that open communication and strong leadership are paramount, alongside an ambitious attitude and desire to drive continuous improvement within yourself and the Breakthrough Silicon Valley team. You are comfortable using databases, CRM’s, social media, email marketing tools, and creative software, and are always excited to add more technical skills to your toolkit.
You demonstrate a passion for educational equity and for Breakthrough’s mission, and you are passionate about communicating with and collaborating with students, the Breakthrough team, and external stakeholders to amplify our impact.
This is a full-time, temporary position. Ideal start date is on or near July 19th, 2021 through December 31st, 2021.
EXTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS (30%)
● Manage the creation and dissemination of high-quality, effective, and consistent video, print and digital collateral such as an annual report, donor appeals, newsletters, video shorts, alumni communications, event and conference presentations, e-blasts, etc.
● Produce engaging content for print, video digital collateral.
● Oversee the content and regular updating of the organization’s website.
● Lead the generation of online and social media content that engages diverse audience segments using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
● Utilize graphic design skills to create strong printed and web-based pieces for purposes of visual storytelling.
● Maintain BTSV photo archive, and create opportunities for other stakeholders to contribute image and video files.
VOLUNTEER ENGAGEMENT (30%)
● Develop and execute strategy for securing corporate hosts for annual Career Exploration Day event including outreach to corporate prospects, developing exciting program with hosts, working with summer programming staff to coordinate schedules and assignments, and arranging transportation.
● Collaborate with program staff to incorporate volunteers into Breakthrough student events and facilitate mutually-beneficial and meaningful student/volunteer interactions, including annual student resume writing and interview skills workshops.
● Manage volunteer inquiries, communicate with and cultivate prospective volunteers, and lead volunteer recruitment efforts.
● Conduct volunteer onboarding and trainings.
● Represent Breakthrough Silicon Valley at corporate volunteer recruitment events.
● Use Salesforce to capture volunteer data and maintain relationships, seeing volunteers as potential financial supporters.
DEVELOPMENT OPERATIONS (20%)
● Lead for Salesforce database management, and responsible for maintaining accuracy of all development data.
● Manage gift-processing activities and assist with financial reconciliations and annual audit.
● Process timely gift acknowledgement letters for all fundraising efforts.
● Produce routine and custom reports in support of fundraising and marketing efforts.
● Maintain development files, including those stored on Dropbox.
EVENT MANAGEMENT (20%)
● Manage BTSV fundraising events including creating invitations and other collateral, maintaining guest lists, preparing registration materials, managing ticket sales, interfacing with vendors, coordinating with event committees, etc.
● Coordinate volunteer events including annual student resume writing and interview skills workshops, working closely with program staff.
● Provide logistical support for BTSV events where board members and/or donors are attendees including Senior Celebration.
Ideal candidates will bring to the position a variety of attributes, knowledge and skills.
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● 3-5 years of relevant development, events, marketing, and/or communications experience in a non-profit environment.
● Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, website content management systems (squarespace, wordpress, etc.), email marketing tools, and social media tools; proficiency with and knowledge of Salesforce strongly preferred.
● Experience within a youth development or educational organization is a plus.
Skills and Traits
● Commitment to Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s mission and goals as well as a passion for educational equity.
● Excellent ability to prioritize and execute multiple time-sensitive priorities with precision and integrity.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills and a tactful, diplomatic communication style.
● Creative problem-solving, ability to implement ideas, and monitor success.
● Systems-minded; must create and manage scalable systems.
● Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; strong doses of humor and humility preferred.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality and always exhibit a high level of discretion.
Under normal circumstances, the SCDM would work primarily at one of our two Breakthrough offices. Travel between BTSV’s offices and to and from partner school sites are needed regularly. Due to COVID19*, there would be a mixture of primarily virtual engagements with some in-person programming.
Herbert Hoover Middle School, 1635 Park Ave, San Jose, CA 95126
Franklin-McKinley School District, 645 Wool Creek Dr, San Jose, CA 95112
*While the Breakthrough team is currently working remote, this is a local position and we are only considering candidates who are or will be local before the start of employment.
Commitment and Compensation
● This is a full-time, temporary exempt position from July 19th, 2021 - December 31, 2021.
● The Sr. Coordinator of Development and Marketing will work a standard 40-hour work week, though occasional evenings or weekends will be required based on events and activities.
● Competitive compensation based on experience.
● Comprehensive health Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision health coverage and life insurance
● Generous paid time-off: 15 days plus holidays
To apply, please apply online at www.breakthroughsv.org/joinourteam. Incomplete applications without a cover letter and resume will not be considered. We will review applications on a rolling basis.
Breakthrough engages with individuals of all backgrounds and we are committed to embracing diversity within our organization, including developing a team who represents the communities we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer Breakthrough is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.