Breakthrough Silicon Valley launches talented but underserved middle school students on the path to college, while at the same time inspiring high school and college students to become educators. While ambitious in our goals, BTSV works: a stunning 99% of BTSV graduates are accepted into four-year colleges and 89% of BTSV 2017-2018 Teaching Fellows are inspired to pursue a career in education as a result of their summer experience.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s tuition-free program provides year-round out of school time academic support, counseling, and advocacy for a diverse group of talented students, most of whom come from under-resourced communities and are first in their family to go to college. Through our students-teaching-students model, Breakthrough also provides a consummate professional development experience in education by providing talented high school and college students the opportunity to design and teach classes under the direction of seasoned education professionals.
Located in San Jose, California, Breakthrough Silicon Valley is an affiliate of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a leading national service organization that acts as the national voice for 24 Breakthrough sites across the country.
As the Sr. Director of Programs and Instruction (SDPI) you help shape the strategic direction of the organization as a key member of the organizations’ executive leadership team. Reporting directly to BTSV’s Executive Director, you will be the lead architect of BTSV’s six-year program, including our summer Teaching Fellowship which is foundational to Breakthrough’s “Students-Teaching-Students” approach. Through your leadership and vision, you ensure that all aspects of programming meet the needs of our students and families, reflects our core values, and aligns with our theory of change. You lead a team of eight full-time staff, directly managing six individuals including the Director of Admissions and Middle School Programs and the High School Program team.
You are a data-driven leader who oversees BTSV’s program assessment and evaluation and demonstrates the ability to incorporate qualitative and quantitative data in your decision-making. You are passionate about creating conditions to support first-gen students develop academically and social-emotionally, and you are equally passionate about excellence in instruction and demonstrate the ability to support and coach others to be more effective in their work. As SDPI you lead the recruitment, selection, and training for approximately sixty summer Teaching Fellows and nine Instructional Coaches.
You are an entrepreneurial leader who demonstrates a passion for educational equity and for Breakthrough’s mission, who embraces a growth mindset, and is excited about communicating with and collaborating with students, the Breakthrough team, and external stakeholders to amplify our impact.
Program strategy, design, and execution
● Design and implement strategies to measure the quality and impact of individual BTSV programs, and the overall impact of BTSV on students, families, and Teaching Fellows.
● Lead the design and execution of curriculum and other program elements that support our overall programmatic goals and objectives.
● Ensure all programs executed by the BTSV program team support and align with BTSV’s Theory of Change and our four core program elements: academic support, development of college-going mindsets and behaviors, family engagement, and college access.
● Stay abreast of developments in our field (Out of School Time programming, K-12 education, and teacher development, etc.) and work to align BTSV’s programming with best practices and research in our field.
● Ensure an academically rigorous instructional program that prepares students for success in college preparatory high school environments.
Teacher Selection, Training, and Support
● Oversee recruitment, assessment, selection, placement, and training of sixty summer Teaching Fellows (TFs).
● Recruit and train summer Instructional Coaches (ICs) from area schools, positioning them to be the front-line support for TFs.
● Create and refine summer program curriculum in alignment with Common Core State Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and BTSV’s College-Going Behaviors and Mindsets.
● Supervise, train and support school-year and summer intern teachers and summer ICs, facilitating their development as educators and holding them to the highest possible standards.
Team and organizational leadership
● Directly manage the High School program team of five individuals plus the Director of Admissions and Middle School Programs. Provide evaluative feedback and see to their continuous growth and development.
● Establish a long-term vision for the BTSV program and set annual priorities for the BTSV program. Ensure all team members’ goals are aligned with organizational priorities.
● Represent BTSV in the educational community, including participating in learning cohorts, non-profit collaborations, and educational forums
● Develop relationships with partner superintendents, principals, and heads of independent schools to support all of BTSV’s programs, including securing summer program locations.
● Cultivate and develop relationships with partner organizations that will result in enhanced services to BTSV students.
● Assist program staff with student admissions, high school placement, school district relationship building efforts, and other projects as needed.
● Lead other strategic and operational initiatives as needed to support the day-to-day excellence and long-term success of the BTSV program.
● Assist the ED and Director of Development with activities related to fundraising and engaging with the BTSV Board of Directors.
Ideal candidates will bring to the position a variety of attributes, knowledge, and skills.
● Demonstrated commitment to educational equity and understanding of the first-gen experience and drivers of the opportunity gap.
● Prior experience managing individual employees and leading teams. Ability to hold others to high standards and to achieve measurable results.
● Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in a related field a plus.
● Experience in a K-12 learning environment with experience developing and implementing curriculum. Familiarity with approaches to teacher development and instructional coaching and with Common Core standards-based instructional design.
● Demonstrated ability to design, implement and evaluate programs using qualitative and quantitative methods. Facility with tools such as Excel and databases such as Salesforce strongly preferred.
● Ability and desire to relate to and work with a diverse student and parent body.
● Demonstrated ability to maintaining partnerships with schools, district administrators, businesses, and partner organizations in support of programmatic goals.
● Superior presentation, writing, organizational, and interpersonal communication skills
● Fluency in Spanish and/or Vietnamese is a plus.
● Previous experience with Breakthrough programs is also a plus.
● Ability to travel between our two offices in San Jose, mileage reimbursement at IRS rates provided.
Commitment and Compensation
● This is a full-time, exempt position, available immediately.
● As Breakthrough is an “out of school time program” candidates should anticipate frequent evening and occasional weekend commitments.
● Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
● Generous Health Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision health coverage and life insurance.
● Retirement Benefits: 401(k) plan with immediate company match.
● Generous paid time-off: 15 days plus 11 holidays and two "shut-down" weeks.
● Professional development fund for professional growth and learning opportunities.
To apply, please apply online. Incomplete applications without a cover letter and resume will not be considered.
We will review applications on a rolling basis.
Breakthrough engages with individuals of all backgrounds and we are committed to embracing diversity within our organization, including developing a team who represents the communities we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer Breakthrough is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more at www.breakthroughsv.org.