Breakthrough Silicon Valley launches talented but underserved middle school students on the path to college, while at the same time inspiring high school and college students to become educators. While ambitious in our goals, BTSV works: a stunning 99% of BTSV graduates are accepted into four-year colleges and 89% of BTSV 2017-2018 Teaching Fellows are inspired to pursue a career in education as a result of their summer experience.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s tuition-free program provides year-round out of school time academic support, counseling, and advocacy for a diverse group of talented students, most of whom come from under-resourced communities and are first in their family to go to college. Through our students-teaching-students model, Breakthrough also provides a consummate professional development experience in education by providing talented high school and college students the opportunity to design and teach classes under the direction of seasoned education professionals.
Located in San Jose, California, Breakthrough Silicon Valley is an affiliate of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a leading national service organization that acts as the national voice for 24 Breakthrough sites across the country.
As Director of Admissions and Middle School Programs you will oversee all summer and after-school activities for our 240 seventh and eighth-grade students, ensuring that our youngest students and their families are on the path to success within our six-year program and ultimately to a four-year university. In addition to student programming and family engagement for our Middle Schoolers, you will also direct the recruitment, selection, and onboarding for all of our new rising 7th grade students and their families.
As a member of a four-person leadership team, you will inform the strategic direction of our organization. Reporting to the Senior Director of Programs and Instruction (SDPI), the Director of Middle School Programs supervises two year-round Middle School Program Coordinators. Through your leadership, you will ensure that BTSV delivers high-quality, engaging, and rigorous summer and after-school programming that meets the needs of our students and families, and aligns with our core values. You will seek to understand the needs of students and families and deliver programming to meet those needs.
You are an entrepreneurial and collaborative leader who brings experience in youth development and/or educational programming. You demonstrate a passion for educational equity and a deep understanding of the first-generation college-bound student experience. You are energetic and spirited, embrace a growth mindset, and you are excited about getting students excited about learning!
Program development and delivery
● Lead your team in the planning, execution and evaluation of BTSV’s hallmark Middle School Summer Program for rising 7th and 8th graders.
● Plan, oversee the execution of and evaluate of the 7th grade After School Program each Spring, and the High School Transitions program for 8th-grade students and families each Fall.
● Work collaboratively with the BTSV program team to develop family programming appropriate to the Middle School years.
● Work with SDPI to develop and oversee best practices related to one-on-one student advising, provide feedback to advisors, and develop and oversee implementation of evaluation supports.
● Support team to collect and report-on program metrics related to all aspects of programming.
New student recruitment and selection
● Leverage relationships with school district administrators, principals, teachers, and counselors to identify and recruit potential Breakthrough students and families.
● Train BTSV staff, alumni, and volunteers to assist with the recruitment process including presentations, application readings, and new family interviews.
● Select the incoming class of 120 rising 7th-grade students and fully prepare new students and their families for successful enrollment and on-boarding to the program.
● Manage, support, and oversee the development of two direct reports that deliver both large-group and individualized support to students and families throughout the year.
● Coach direct reports to address student and family concerns as they arise, occasionally addressing issues when escalated from direct-service staff.
● Observe MS programming and provide structured feedback that will support the individual growth of team members and enhance program excellence.
● Develop and maintain a collaborative working relationship with school district administrators, principals, and counselors for the purposes of new student recruitment and student support.
● Work collaboratively with SDPI to secure summer program locations, take ownership of working with partners to plan summer site logistics.
● Cultivate relationships with public, private, and charter schools for the purpose of supporting Breakthrough students to enter rigorous, college preparatory high school programs.
● Establish partnerships with other service providers to address family needs outside of BTSV’s scope.
● Help shape annual priorities and overall strategy as a member of BTSV’s Senior Leadership Team
● Represent BTSV in the community through participation in, non-profit collaborations, educational forums, etc.
● As needed, assist Executive Director with fundraising and/ or board-related activities.
Ideal candidates will bring to the position a variety of attributes, knowledge, and skills.
● Demonstrated commitment to educational equity and a deep understanding of the first-gen experience and drivers of the opportunity gap
● Prior experience managing and developing individual employees and leading teams. Ability to hold others to high standards and to achieve measurable results.
● Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in a related field is a plus
● Experience developing, implementing, and evaluating programs directed at a similar service population.
● Comfort with collecting and drawing inferences from data, and use of data tools such as Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets.
● Ability and desire to relate to and work with a diverse student and parent body
● Demonstrated ability to maintain partnerships with schools and other organizations in support of programmatic goals.
● Superior presentation, writing, organizational, and interpersonal communication skills
● Fluency in Spanish required. Fluency in Vietnamese is highly desired
● Previous experience with Breakthrough programs is also a plus.
● Ability to travel between our two offices in San Jose, mileage reimbursement at IRS rates provided.
Commitment and Compensation
● This is a full-time, exempt position, available immediately
● As Breakthrough is an “out of school time program” candidates should anticipate frequent evening and occasional weekend commitments.
● Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
● Generous Health Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision health coverage and life insurance.
● Retirement Benefits: 401(k) plan with immediate company match
● Generous paid time-off: 15 days plus 11 holidays and two "shut-down" weeks
● Professional development fund for professional growth and learning opportunities.
To apply, please apply online. Incomplete applications without a cover letter and resume will not be considered. We will review applications on a rolling basis.
Breakthrough engages with individuals of all backgrounds and we are committed to embracing diversity within our organization, including developing a team who represents the communities we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer Breakthrough is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more at www.breakthroughsv.org.