Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s transformative two-pronged program launches talented but underserved middle school students on the path to college, while at the same time inspiring high school and college students to become educators, particularly in the communities that need the most help. Breakthrough Silicon Valley stands out among the many efforts to improve educational outcomes for underserved students, reaching beyond the typical goals of proficiency, and deeply changing the lives of individuals and their communities. While ambitious in its goals, BTSV works : a stunning 89% of BTSV graduates go on to attend four-year colleges immediately after high school.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s tuition-free program provides year-round out of school time academic support, counseling, and advocacy for a diverse group of talented students, most of whom are first in their family to go to college, come from low-income families, or attend under-performing schools. Breakthrough also provides a consummate professional development experience in education by giving talented high school and college students the opportunity to design and teach classes under the direction of education professionals.
Located in San Jose, California, Breakthrough Silicon Valley is an affiliate of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a leading national service organization that establishes and promotes high standards for, ensures the success of, and acts as the national voice of, 25 Breakthrough sites across the country
As Sr. Coordinator of Development and Marketing, you play a critical role in creating and disseminating electronic and printed material to ensure that BTSV’s mission is consistently articulated across multiple channels in a compelling way. In addition, you will build and maintain relationships with volunteers and corporate social responsibility teams, while supporting the overall fundraising function.
You engage in both high-level, strategic thinking, and in executing critical processes that drive the day-to-day development activities of the organization. You can switch between internal and external roles easily and frequently, as some days you are working diligently at your computer to track and analyze donor data, while another day you are pitching volunteer opportunities and “selling” BTSV’s mission to strangers at a corporate volunteer fair. You are a problem-solver who takes initiative, is highly organized, attentive to detail, and process-oriented. You understand that open communication and strong leadership are paramount, alongside an ambitious attitude and desire to drive continuous improvement within yourself and the Breakthrough Silicon Valley team. You are comfortable using databases, CRM’s, social media, email marketing tools, and creative software, and are always excited to add more technical skills to your toolkit.
You demonstrate a passion for educational equity and for Breakthrough’s mission, and you are passionate about communicating with and collaborating with students, the Breakthrough team, and external stakeholders to amplify our impact.
EXTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS (30%)
● Manage the creation and dissemination of high-quality, effective, and consistent print and digital collateral such as an annual report, donor appeals, newsletters, alumni communications, event and conference presentations, e-blasts, etc.
● Produce engaging content for print and digital collateral.
● Oversee the content and regular updating of the organization’s website.
● Lead the generation of online and social media content that engages diverse audience segments using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
● Utilize graphic design skills to create strong printed and web-based pieces for purposes of visual storytelling.
● Maintain BTSV photo archive, and create opportunities for other stakeholders to contribute image and video files.
VOLUNTEER ENGAGEMENT (30%)
● Develop and execute strategy for securing corporate hosts for annual Career Exploration Day event including outreach to corporate prospects, developing exciting program with hosts, working with summer programming staff to coordinate schedules and assignments, and arranging transportation.
● Collaborate with program staff to incorporate volunteers into Breakthrough student events and facilitate mutually-beneficial and meaningful student/volunteer interactions, including annual student resume writing and interview skills workshops.
● Manage volunteer inquiries, communicate with and cultivate prospective volunteers, and lead volunteer recruitment efforts.
● Conduct volunteer onboarding and trainings.
● Represent Breakthrough Silicon Valley at corporate volunteer recruitment events.
● Use Salesforce to capture volunteer data and maintain relationships, seeing volunteers as potential financial supporters.
DEVELOPMENT OPERATIONS (20%)
● Lead for Salesforce database management, and responsible for maintaining accuracy of all development data.
● Manage gift-processing activities and assist with financial reconciliations and annual audit.
● Process timely gift acknowledgement letters for all fundraising efforts.
● Produce routine and custom reports in support of fundraising and marketing efforts.
● Maintain development files, including those stored on Dropbox.
EVENT MANAGEMENT (20%)
● Manage BTSV fundraising events including creating invitations and other collateral, maintaining guest lists, preparing registration materials, managing ticket sales, interfacing with vendors, coordinating with event committees, etc.
● Coordinate volunteer events including annual student resume writing and interview skills workshops, working closely with program staff.
● Provide logistical support for BTSV events where board members and/or donors are attendees including Senior Celebration.
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● 3-5 years of relevant development, events, marketing, and/or communications experience in a non-profit environment.
● Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, website content management systems (squarespace, wordpress, etc.), email marketing tools, and social media tools; proficiency with and knowledge of Salesforce strongly preferred.
● Experience within a youth development or educational organization is a plus.
Skills and Traits
● Commitment to Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s mission and goals as well as a passion for educational equity.
● Excellent ability to prioritize and execute multiple time-sensitive priorities with precision and integrity.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills and a tactful, diplomatic communication style.
● Creative problem-solving, ability to implement ideas, and monitor success.
● Systems-minded; must create and manage scalable systems.
● Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; strong doses of humor and humility preferred.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality and always exhibit a high level of discretion.
Commitment and Compensation
● This is a full-time, exempt position.
● The Sr. Coordinator of Development and Marketing will work a standard 40-hour work week, though occasional evenings or weekends will be required based on events and activities.
● Competitive compensation based on experience.
● Comprehensive health Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision health coverage and life insurance.
● Retirement Benefits: 401(k) plan with immediate company matching opportunity.
● Generous paid time-off: 15 days plus 11 holidays and two "shut-down" weeks
● Professional development fund for professional growth and learning opportunities.
To apply, please apply online at www.breakthroughsv.org/joinourteam. Incomplete applications without a cover letter and resume will not be considered. We will review applications on a rolling basis.
Breakthrough engages with individuals of all backgrounds and we are committed to embracing diversity within our organization, including developing a team who represents the communities we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer Breakthrough is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status,veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more at www.breakthroughsv.org.