The Vice President, Membership is responsible for developing and implementing membership programs, tiers, and benefits, to grow and cultivate our membership base. The Vice President, Membership must generate revenue for the Chamber & EDC and add value for members. The Vice President, Membership is responsible for ensuring the growth and retention of the Chamber & EDC’s membership base by implementing and maintaining comprehensive and aggressive recruitment, engagement, and service programs resulting in strong, stable relationships.
The Vice President, Membership must be a collaborative leader who works closely with colleagues, and who understands and conveys to members how the entire organization serves our membership base of more than 1,300 businesses and organizations.
Benefits include: healthcare, dental, vision, term life and disability insurance, 401K savings, and PTO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Provides vision and direction to manage a full-scale membership program.
· Develop and manage the annual business plan and budget of the Membership department.
· Develop and oversee an effective program to engage staff, Board, and volunteers in Membership programs and activities.
· Work closely with the Finance team to ensure invoices for membership, programs, and activities are paid by the due date in the customer relationship management system.
Contributes to continued organizational
success through team development, participation in senior
leadership team activities, and bi-monthly Board of Directors discussions.
Member Relationships and Retention
· Create and cultivate strong relationships with members through effective outreach and engagement by staff, Board, and volunteers.
· Coordinate with Marketing & Communications team to develop collateral and ensure communications with members are relevant and effective.
· Develop and implement process for tracking member prospects, conversions, retention and drops, to be presented monthly to the President and CEO.
· Maintain up-to-date membership metrics and monitor progress toward annual goals by regular, active use of our customer relationship management system.
· Oversees and contributes to retention calls made by staff and volunteers as needed.
· Manage affinity programs with a focus on increasing member satisfaction and retention.
· Partner with other organizations and businesses to allow the Chamber & EDC to add value for members.
· Ensure the Chamber & EDC is providing value and fulfilling the needs and expectations of members through feedback from members and membership surveys.
New Member Recruitment
· Manage the membership team to proactively identify and recruit new members, process inquiries and applications, and assist with closing sales referred by staff, to attain membership goals.
· Develop and implement new member onboarding/orientation process and materials to maximize the value of their membership.
· Develop and implement strategies to win back past members.
Programming and Events
· Explore, research, and implement best practices for managing membership programs for Chambers of Commerce and similar business membership organizations.
· Develop an annual programming strategy to effectively engage members and deliver clear value for their investment.
· Work closely with the Marketing & Communications team, and other colleagues, to secure sponsorships for Chamber & EDC programs and activities.
· Lead the membership team in support of event execution.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Demonstrated track record of meeting or exceeding measurable goals in a large, fast-paced membership-nonprofit environment.
· Able to work well independently and in a team environment.
· Strong sales skills.
· Experience in the use of social media and social networking (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) and technology (i.e., website) to communicate with or educate members, generate revenue, and broadcast mission.
· Ability to deal personably and positively with individuals including staff, members, volunteers, Board, and the public.
· Ability to evaluate and manage Chamber & EDC financial information.
· Flexibility with scheduling needs and activities of the organization.
· Familiarity and competence with customer relationship management software applications, preferably SalesForce.
· High degree of proficiency with Microsoft products and web-based applications.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or a related field; and
· Ten years of relevant experience; or
· An equivalent combination of education and experience