Annexon Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing a pipeline of novel therapies for patients withcal complement-mediated disorders of the body, brain and eye. The Company’s pipeline is based on its platform technology addressing well-researched cal complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative disease processes, both of which are triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of thecal complement pathway. The Company’s first product candidate, ANX005, is a full-length monoclonal antibody formulated for intravenous administration in autoimmune and neurodegenerative disorders. The Company’s second product candidate, ANX007, is a monoclonal antibody antigen-binding fragment (Fab) formulated for intravitreal administration for the treatment of neurodegenerative ophthalmic disorders. Based on learnings from its initial trials, Annexon is advancing its current programs while evaluating additional orphan and large market indications. Annexon is deploying a disciplined, biomarker-driven development strategy designed to establish that each of its product candidates is engaging the specific target at a well-tolerated therapeutic dose in the intended patient tissue.
Desired Candidate Profile
Reporting into the Senior Vice President, the Sr Director Global Medical Affairs will be a core member of the global medical affairs team and will help to establish the Global Medical Affairs capabilities and function at Annexon Biosciences. This role will ultimately be responsible for representing Annexon Biosciences with a network of external thought leaders and driving Global Medical Affairs activities for assigned therapeutic areas.
- Represent Medical Affairs on cross-functional Core teams, including sharing of clinical perspectives and evolving industry insights to inform strategic planning
- Develop and manage a thought leader network to collect clinical insights and inform broader corporate initiatives
- Engage with patient advocacy groups to identify and represent areas of unmet need for patients and families in strategic decision making
- Work with clinical development teams to support inclusion of relevant clinical and outcome measures to inform needs of patients, physicians and payers
- Provide medical/scientific expertise in support of development and review of content (slides, websites, FAQs) for medical communications and education to advance disease state and clinical understanding
- Ensure alignment of the Medical Affairs activities with the core team plans and objectives.
- Work closely with clinical development medical leads and medical communications to develop, submit and present clinical data at scientific congresses
- Convey role of Annexon’s lead compounds in treating autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Work closely with cross-functional partners to understand current medical practice in the diseases of interest and what is needed to address the unmet needs from the clinical and health economics perspective.
- Develop and implement key medical affairs strategies and activities to support the late stage development of Annexon’s lead assets.
- Contribute to company success through both internal and external medical education and medical/scientific information exchange and support.
- Build relationships with key opinion leaders by providing disease state education and communicating the clinical value of Annexon’s scientific platform.
- MD, DO, PhD and/or PharmD with 10+ years’ industry experience, including at least five years of previous biopharmaceutical industry experience
- Experience with prelaunch and diseases in autoimmune, ophthalmology and/or neurodegeneration desired
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate clinical and scientific information to both internal and external networks, in support of the medical and corporate strategy
- Demonstrated strong track record of leadership and experience building effective teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to anticipate and adapt to change
- Strong interpersonal skills commensurate with the need to work closely with partners, KOL’s, consultants, and team members across functions
- Ability to communicate well with health care professionals and patient advocates; ability to establish strong relationships with peer groups, professional organizations, and other external stakeholders
- Ability to travel up to 30%