Annexon Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing a pipeline of novel therapies for patients with classical complement-mediated disorders of the body, brain and eye. The Company’s pipeline is based on its platform technology addressing well-researched classical complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative disease processes, both of which are triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of the classical complement pathway. The Company’s first product candidate, ANX005, is a full-length monoclonal antibody formulated for intravenous administration in autoimmune and neurodegenerative disorders. The Company’s second product candidate, ANX007, is a monoclonal antibody antigen-binding fragment (Fab) formulated for intravitreal administration for the treatment of neurodegenerative ophthalmic disorders. Based on learnings from its initial trials, Annexon is advancing its current programs while evaluating additional orphan and large market indications. Annexon is deploying a disciplined, biomarker-driven development strategy designed to establish that each of its product candidates is engaging the specific target at a well-tolerated therapeutic dose in the intended patient tissue.
Desired Candidate Profile
The Payroll & Equity Compensation Manager will be responsible for the full payroll function, including equity-based compensation, as well as developing and strengthening internal controls and processes related to payroll and equity. This role will be responsible for managing the Company’s equity compensation process, including option grants and the ESPP plan. The candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day operations and transactions as well as month-end accounting close as related to payroll and equity. Ideal candidates will have a background working on both payroll and equity management in industry and the ability and desire to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment. This individual will work closely to support all employees and across various functions including HR, Legal, payroll/benefits provider, transfer agent, broker, and financial auditors.
- Responsible for ensuring accuracy, compliance, and timely processing of semi-monthly and monthly payrolls for employees located in multi-state locations.
- Review and process transactions including benefit changes, special compensation, other adjustments.
- Coordinate with HR to process new hires, terminations, leaves, and other changes.
- Resolve inquiries from employees in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls, federal/state/local requirements, deadlines.
- Manage regulatory filings, notices, audits, and other communications from federal and state agencies.
- Work with payroll vendor on system administration, maintenance, reporting needs.
- Manage, reconcile, and report on employee benefit programs, including 401(k) and FSA, and work with service providers to resolve inquiries and/or provide employee training.
- Prepare journal entries, payroll and benefit reconciliations, and assist with quarterly reporting and external financial audits.
- Ad hoc projects including compensation research for annual compensation process and employee changes, board reports.
- Prepare and process new equity awards, exercises, cancellations and releases promptly, including off-cycle payrolls for tax withholdings.
- Track and report W-2 income from stock exercises and dispositions
- Execute trading blackout periods and enforcement of insider trading policy restrictions.
- Manage open enrollment process and purchases for ESPP including monitoring limits.
- Interact with transfer agent to ensure that trades are settled timely.
- Prepare journal entries related to equity and stock-based compensation expense, reconciliations, and assist with quarterly reporting and external audits.
- Ad hoc projects, similar to above
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 7-10 years of relevant work experience, preferably in biotechnology industry
- Elite attention to detail and accuracy
- Professional, responsive and customer-focused working relationships with all levels of staff
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing.
- Positive team attitude with a willingness to work on both smaller and large tasks to help get the job done.
- Candidate with experience in a fast-growing company is preferred.
- Experience with TriNet, Computershare, Certent, and NetSuite preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, advanced Excel skills
- Working knowledge of US GAAP, SOX, and SEC reporting requirements