Annexon Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing a pipeline of novel therapies for patients with classical complement-mediated disorders of the body, eye and brain. The Company’s pipeline is based on its platform technology addressing well-researched classical complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative disease processes, both of which are triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of the classical complement pathway. The Company’s first product candidate, ANX005, is a full-length monoclonal antibody formulated for intravenous administration in autoimmune and neurodegenerative disorders. The Company’s second product candidate, ANX007, is a monoclonal antibody antigen-binding fragment (Fab) formulated for intravitreal administration for the treatment of neurodegenerative ophthalmic disorders. Based on learnings from its initial trials, Annexon is advancing its current programs while evaluating additional orphan and large market indications. Annexon is deploying a disciplined, biomarker-driven development strategy designed to establish that each of its product candidates is engaging the specific target at a well-tolerated therapeutic dose in the intended patient tissue.
Desired Candidate Profile
The FP&A Director is a high impact, executive-facing role that will report directly to the VP, Controller, and support Annexon’s critical pipeline milestones, as well as the company’s growth toward becoming a multi-product commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company. The FP&A Director will have a key role in supporting multiple functional areas and project teams within the Annexon organization. The role will have the unique opportunity to build and work on budgets for various stages within the clinical development process across the Annexon portfolio. This role will partner closely with leaders across clinical operations, manufacturing, and project management to drive the annual budget process, regular forecasts as well as the long- range plan. Success in this role will require cultivating partnerships across teams, strong communication, ability to influence, and strategic thinking skills to drive value to the business.
- Partner with stakeholders to coordinate and develop annual budget and periodic forecasts, including OPEX, capital spend and headcount.
- Work with project management organization to leverage external data to understand and challenge expense projections for short- and long-term financial models.
- Work closely with department heads to review complex clinical and manufacturing contracts for costs and payment terms during the contract negotiation.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to create monthly reporting dashboard to track key financial and performance metrics.
- Perform budget versus actual analysis at the consolidated, project, and department levels to identify and understand variances, assess associated risks and opportunities, and communicate results to senior management.
- Perform assessment FP&A system requirements and near-term implementation to support needs of the organization.
- Support adhoc requests as needed. Provide financial assessments and guidance for strategic projects and business cases.
- Develop and deliver presentations to senior management with clear and concise objectives, analyses, and recommendations.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting required.
- CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of increasing responsibility in finance or accounting.
- Professional experience in a biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or medical device organization.
- Prefer experience in company with late stage development or commercial stage products.
- Ability to establish strong business relationships and interact cross-functionally at all levels.
- Must possess strong problem-solving skills. Ability to work effectively to identify issues, gather relevant data points and recommend solutions.
- Must be a strong communicator capable of explaining/presenting complex financial concepts and problems clearly and effectively to all constituents.
- Customer service oriented; able to understand business requirements while maintaining ownership for projects and results.
- Highly detail oriented with strong analytical skills; experienced in developing financial models, leading analysis, and explaining options and implications.
- Highly motivated self-starter capable of working under pressure and prioritizing workload to meet deadlines.
- Strong team player with ability to demonstrate executive presence.
- Process and systems improvement mindset for creating solutions to problems that work across boundaries beyond this role.