Annexon Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing a pipeline of novel therapies for patients with classical complement-mediated disorders of the body, eye and brain. The Company’s pipeline is based on its platform technology addressing well-researched classical complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative disease processes, both of which are triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of the classical complement pathway. The Company’s first product candidate, ANX005, is a full-length monoclonal antibody formulated for intravenous administration in autoimmune and neurodegenerative disorders. The Company’s second product candidate, ANX007, is a monoclonal antibody antigen-binding fragment (Fab) formulated for intravitreal administration for the treatment of neurodegenerative ophthalmic disorders. Based on learnings from its initial trials, Annexon is advancing its current programs while evaluating additional orphan and large market indications. Annexon is deploying a disciplined, biomarker-driven development strategy designed to establish that each of its product candidates is engaging the specific target at a well-tolerated therapeutic dose in the intended patient tissue.
Desired Candidate Profile
Annexon is seeking an experienced VP/SVP of Human Resources who will be based at the company’s South San Francisco, California headquarters. Reporting to the CEO, they will exhibit depth and acumen in the following key areas:
1. Create and execute a talent strategy – They will be responsible for talent acquisition, total rewards, learning and development, organization development & effectiveness, diversity & inclusion and HR operations. The VP/SVP, HR will ensure that we attract top talent, develop critical capabilities, and create the infrastructure that will enable our continued growth and development.
2. Act as a trusted advisor and business partner to the CEO and Company leadership – the successful candidate will be an inspiring leader and mentor, functioning as the expert on people and organizational issues.
3. Change management –Success in this role requires a strategic, collaborative thinker, who can offer a long-range vision for scaling the Company while incorporating and communicating Annexon’s values. The VP/SVP HR will possess a strong mix of strategic and hands-on experience and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment. They will be a key member of the leadership team while helping to build and scale the company through new phases of growth.
· Attract, develop, and retain top tier talent across the company.
· Develop and oversee recruiting plans and efforts to identify top talent within and outside the organization and build employment brand in the talent marketplace.
· Partner with leadership on organizational design; build capabilities needed to deliver on the business strategy and support high performance of the company.
· Ensure talent programs and growth opportunities for team members and culture of continuous learning.
· Oversee all employee communications in collaboration with CEO/CFO.
· Be accessible, approachable, and a capable resource to employees throughout the organization, establishing and maintaining strong relationships.
· Advise and counsel managers on employee relations matters, including employee development and employee performance, team effectiveness and employee engagement.
· Champion, promote, and guide the Company’s inclusion strategy and diversity initiatives.
· Be a leader of HR operations, systems and processes that will support the organization as the company continues to grow and improve the overall effectiveness of the company.
· Manage and administer compensation planning and benefits programs including policies, processes and communications. Ensure the programs are market competitive and aligned with business and talent goals.
· Ensure compliance with all legal requirements and applicable labor laws.
· Minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible, relevant human resources leadership experience, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
· Undergraduate degree in relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
· Experience scaling an organization and building teams while aligning the appropriate HR systems, processes and resources against a high growth business strategy. Especially important for the successful candidate to have prior experience supporting an organization’s organic growth by driving a highly successful talent acquisition strategy.
· Proven experience in successfully in building and leading the HR function, including experience managing talent acquisition, total rewards, employee relations, learning and development, organization effectiveness, diversity & inclusion and HR operations in a growing organization.
· Track record of developing and implementing HR programs and initiatives that support strategic objectives within an innovative environment.
· Must demonstrate ability to initiate and lead strategic/proactive HR projects while still managing and providing day to day HR Operations support.
· Outstanding communication skills, capable of presenting oral and written communications in a well-organized and compelling manner to management team colleagues, the board and external stakeholders.
· Strong business insight and analytical skills; adept at using metrics & data to inform and influence decisions.
· Expertise in coaching across the full spectrum of an organization and managing/mentoring a team.
· Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to develop strong, trusting relationships to gain support and achieve results.
· Executive presence and ability to lead and influence by example.
· Knowledge of California employment law and federal government compliance regulations.