Director, Program & Portfolio Management
The Director, Program & Portfolio Management is a proactive and effective problem solver who is intellectually curious and works exceedingly well with others. This role is responsible for managing and driving cross-functional activities required to advance a program from preclinical development through BLA submission. The winning skill set includes working effectively and efficiently with cross- functional groups including nonclinical, clinical, technical development, regulatory, manufacturing, commercial planning and finance. As a key member of the Core Team, the Director, Program & Portfolio Management will work closely with the GPL (Global Program Leader) to help establish and execute program strategy and activities, integrate cross-functional input, synthesize team recommendations, and ensure program advancement on time and on budget. Lastly, the Director, Program & Portfolio Management is expected to create and maintain consistent project documentation including project plans, timelines, trackers and communications. This role will initially report into the SVP of Project Portfolio Strategy & Operations.
· In partnership with GPL and Core Team, develops and maintains integrated product development and lifecycle plans.
· Creates and maintains project timelines that are critical tools for tracking progress against goals; closely and transparently manages the critical path of the project.
· Proactively identifies critical milestones, interdependencies, risks and resource constraints that could impact project timelines and collaborates with teams to develop appropriate solutions.
· Co-facilitates Core Team Meetings with GPL.
· Responsible for Core Team documentation including meeting agendas, minutes, action item and decision trackers.
· Ensures that all team members are fully informed and knowledgeable of project activities and status; optimizes communication within and between teams, in and outside of meetings.
· Partners with Core Team to proactively address acute issues that arise.
· Ensures that consistent project management tools and practices are used across team.
· Supports continuous improvement efforts in Project Management practices at Annexon; leads department initiatives.
· Ensures compliance with corporate policies and procedures, as well as, US healthcare laws and regulations.
· Undergraduate degree in a scientific, medical or business discipline; postgraduate qualification (e.g., Ph.D., MBA, MS) or commensurate experience is a distinct advantage.
· A minimum of 10 years of biopharmaceutical industry experience, with half in a Project Management function supporting highly matrixed drug development teams comprised of, but not limited to, functional area representatives from Research, CMC, Regulatory, Clinical, Marketing and Finance.
· Solid understanding of activities critical to early and late stage drug development projects; commercial-stage a plus.
· Proven ability to manage complex, cross-functional development projects with Go/No Go decisions.
· Well-versed at scenario planning and capable of rapidly integrating new information into existing plans.
· Excellent meeting planning and facilitation skills.
· Highly proficient at both building and maintaining Gantt charts, tracking systems, spreadsheets and tools that support a systematic and scalable approach to managing projects.
· Highly organized, excellent writing and oral communication skills, motivated and analytically rigorous.
· Experienced at partnering with team members to determine planning assumptions that drive timelines and budgets.
· Adept at skillfully managing complex and challenging situations.
· Team-oriented, with excellent interpersonal skills (i.e. collaboration, conflict management and negotiation).