Field Applications Engineer
Ravenswood Solutions (RS), a wholly owned subsidiary of SRI International, delivers combat readiness field training to U.S. military personnel and other security forces around the country and around the world. Ravenswood Solutions is seeking a Field Applications Engineer (FAE) for our organization. The FAE is a member of the Ravenswood Solutions Products & Services team. As a FAE, you will not only be fulfilling a traditional lab testing role, you will also be working in the field across the United States supporting National Guard Soldier training, applying your skills in computer engineering and IT in a rugged, austere environment. This position will be located in our Boise, ID facility and requires 3-4 months of travel per year.
Ravenswood Solutions is looking for a Field Applications Engineer (FAE) in direct support of military programs and exercises that utilize the FlexTrain System. This large-scale instrumentation training system provides real-time position information and simulated engagement results for soldiers and vehicles. This system is used at various military bases throughout the U.S. to support training and data collection to include platoon training at a brigade level.
Specific responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following):
The duties include the configuring, testing, and operating of the FlexTrain system.
This job opening is for an entry-level position. As a project team member working with the FlexTrain system, you will be required to contribute to defining problems, determining technical requirements, determining preliminary hardware designs, and developing systems engineering solutions relating to instrumentation and data acquisition systems, and other complex technology solutions.
Specific tasks entail configuring and maintaining both the hardware and software for Linux and Windows computers, conceptual design of systems tailored to solve specific client problems, detailed design/specification of complex systems, and test and evaluation of operational systems. In addition, the FAE will be intimately involved with debugging and fixing problems with the systems’ network, audio/video equipment, and RF systems. The RF systems include VHF/UHF land mobile radio (LMR) systems and 2.4/5.8 GHz wireless links.
While deployed in support of an exercise, the FAE will be expected to setup instrumentation systems, assist with the recruiting and training of temporary hires, and maintain maximum uptime through proactive system monitoring. The FAE will be responsible for troubleshooting, diagnosing, and repairing inoperative or malfunctioning instrumentation units, assisting with the storage and maintenance of the equipment and infrastructure, and maintaining reports on component status for the purpose of calculating reliability statistics
· A bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical disciplines required
o New graduates are welcome to apply
o Sufficient related worked experience will be considered
· CCNA certification is desired, or required in lieu of a BS
· Applicants must have demonstrated excellent academic performance and relevant work experience via coursework, projects, and summer or other employment
· Work experience in the following areas is desired:
o Technical problem definition and solution execution
o System requirements and design tradeoff analyses
o Software development
o Systems integration and testing
o Installation and operation of VHF/UHF conventional and LMR systems
o Audio/visual systems
· Ability to work effectively on small team projects is essential. Applicants will be evaluated on technical background, evidence of ability to adapt to new problem areas and technical challenges, and potential for professional growth into assignments involving client interaction and leadership.
· Military experience and/or experience working with the military is preferred, but not required
· Must be able to support extensive travel – up to four months of travel per year
· Versatility to perform unrelated tasks to include manual labor
· Proficient with computer hardware and software
· Network design and device configuration
· IT/help desk knowledge and ability
· Capable of using and debugging Unix/Linux and MS-DOS command line processing
· Ability to operate and maintain audio/video equipment
· Employment is contingent on successful completion of a background check
· A drug screen will be required as part of the hiring process
· Ability to travel required (up to four months of travel per year)
· Due to government requirements this position requires that candidates are U.S. Citizens with the ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance
About Ravenswood Solutions
Ravenswood Solutions, a new subsidiary of SRI International, provides government agencies and commercial clients with technology and services for collective training, test and evaluation, and policy analysis exercises. Our field-proven packages include high fidelity instrumentation, realistic training effects, and turnkey support services that are customized for each client.
Ravenswood Solutions leverages more than 20 years of experience in providing technology insertion, training support, and sustainment services. This heritage of world-class technology and dedication to customers has led the company to be the leading provider of mobile instrumented training and performance assessment for military ground troops and other security forces.
Ravenswood Solutions is an equal opportunity employer, which appreciates and welcomes a diverse workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please visit our site to learn more about Ravenswood Solutions: