Ravenswood Solutions (RS), a wholly owned subsidiary of SRI International, delivers combat readiness field training to U.S. military personnel and other security forces around the country and around the world. RS is looking for a motivated, talented and versatile Embedded Software Engineer to be a member of Ravenswood’s Product Development Engineering team based in Fremont, CA.
The primary job responsibility will be developing software for a suite of embedded devices over a range of different hardware. There is significant variety in the life-cycle maturity of these devices. The candidate may be responsible for providing software input to the hardware engineering team for new devices and developing the entire software architecture, design, implementation, and testing for the device. The candidate may be asked to rapidly add a feature to an existing device. Some devices may be OS-less, some will require an RTOS, while some will run embedded Linux. Most if not all of these devices interact with other devices as part of a larger system, and you will be called upon to help design, develop, and debug the interfaces with those larger systems in addition to the individual devices.
The candidate will primarily provide hands-on development and integration efforts along with performing software engineering in all phases of the software lifecycle. The candidate will be required to work with software development peers, subject matter experts, contractors, business partners, customers, hardware and field engineers. Candidate should be self-motivated and work well independently and in a team environment.
Potential areas of focus include wireless communications and data collection/analysis/presentation, precision differential Global Positioning Systems (dGPS), angular measurement, sensor fusion, mobile ad-hoc networking, distributed simulation, advanced data visualization, tracking in GPS-denied environments, augmented reality, enhanced engagement simulation, and data analytics.
This position requires on-call diagnostic/troubleshooting support during field exercises. Additionally, some travel is required (typically one week every six weeks, anticipate less than 60 days per year). Trips to include technical support of field exercises, testing of developed products in operating environment, and new client development/planning on location.
Individuals interested in having an immediate and direct impact on the success of a small company should apply.
Education and Professional Experience Requirements
• A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other related engineering discipline
• Minimum 3 years of embedded software engineering experience
• Expertise developing for microprocessors (MSP430, MSP432, CC3200) and low-level drivers/interfaces
• Expertise in one or more of the following: C/C++, Python or Bash with ability to discuss frameworks, libraries, and methodologies used in embedded development
• Practical experience in functional design, development, and integration
• Experience with implementing wired and wireless interfaces (RS-232, CAN, Ethernet, BlueTooth, WiFi, ZigBee)
• Application networking concepts (TCP/IP, REST, unicast/multicast/broadcast)
• Experience working with git, svn, TI CCS, Visual Studio, JIRA, Confluence
• Experience with Debian-based Linux/Embedded Linux is strongly desired with a familiarity with Windows/OS X/Android/iOS a plus
• Experience with lab and field testing, and design for manufacturability/testability desired
• Documentation and technical writing skills desired
• Familiarity with military training systems, events, formats, and protocol desired
Professional Skills and Characteristics
• Strong programming and debugging skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to interact effectively with people of varying technical abilities and disciplines
• Demonstrates flexible team-oriented attitude; adapts to changing requirements
• Ability to work closely in small teams to create everything from rough prototypes to well integrated products in short design cycles with good documentation and reproducible methods
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications
• Employment is contingent on successful completion of a background check
• A drug screen will be required as part of the hiring process
• Due to government requirements for this role and the nature of the work, candidates must be U.S. Citizens with the ability to obtain a government security clearance.See http://www.dss.mil/psmo-i/ps_faqs.html
About Ravenswood Solutions
Ravenswood Solutions, a subsidiary of SRI International, provides government agencies and commercial clients with technology and services for collective training, test and evaluation, and policy analysis exercises. Our field-proven packages include high fidelity instrumentation, realistic training effects, and turnkey support services that are customized for each client.
Ravenswood Solutions leverages more than 20 years of experience in providing technology insertion, training support, and sustainment services. This heritage of world-class technology and dedication to customers has led the company to be the leading provider of mobile instrumented training and performance assessment for military ground troops and other security forces.
Ravenswood Solutions is an equal opportunity employer, which appreciates and welcomes a diverse workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please visit our site to learn more about Ravenswood Solutions: